Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been renting a dedicated server for a few years now (probably my most important server business wise) and the host has decided to decommission the range of servers as they're getting past it.

I'm fine with that but they've basically said that they'll be giving me a brand new whm/cpanel server and leaving everything else up to me, data migration, config settings, custom zone file entries, custom OS changes etc. etc.

Would anyone else consider this normal or would I be right in feeling a bit arsed off about it?

Cheers, Grant

Would have thought they would be able to replicate your exact setup on the new server? Whenever I've moved servers, it has been managed for me.

Would have thought they would be able to replicate your exact setup on the new server? Whenever I've moved servers, it has been managed for me.

That's what I thought too, so far all they've given me is a link to instructions for the WHM transfer wizard!!!

Cheers, Grant

If it was an unmanaged server then protentially yes. Depends on the T&C, and to a large extent the host company themselves. Some smaller friendlier ones will go out of their way just cos they're techies and like a challenge.

If it was an unmanaged server then potentially yes.

Yep, it's unmanaged, haven't checked the T&C. As I've paid probably $4k+ to them to date I may try kicking off a bit and see what they say.

Grant

I've been renting a dedicated server for a few years now (probably my most important server business wise) and the host has decided to decommission the range of servers as they're getting past it.

I'm fine with that but they've basically said that they'll be giving me a brand new whm/cpanel server and leaving everything else up to me, data migration, config settings, custom zone file entries, custom OS changes etc. etc.

Would anyone else consider this normal or would I be right in feeling a bit arsed off about it?

Cheers, Grant

Old servers = power inefficient. New servers = power efficient. At a certain point in time, the old server becomes more of a burden to run despite any leases on the hardware expiring and the hardware being owned, etc. So I can definitely understand why they are doing this.

We do it from time to time and donate the old hardware to charity. However, even for an unmanaged server, they should migrate the data for you and do it at your convenience.

Matt

Ask if you can buy it for a nominal price and colo it for the short term?

It's going to be power hungry. You're also suddenly responsible for old hard drives (probably close to or over their MTBF), an older sever in general and if they're decommissioning servers of a similar era - bang go the spares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom