Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

IT.com sold for $3.8mn

Reaction score
Just noticed an ad for IT.com on here in the sidebar, it prompted me to read up about the sale of IT.com which, last time I checked, had not been disclosed. Turns out that Intis Telecom bought this for $3.8mn with a payment plan across 3 years including a $1.5mn downpayment.

It looks as if they're acquiring it.XX domains all over the place, including IT.uk

https://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2021/dailyposts/20211101.htm

Clicked through their ad myself too and read the dnjournal article.

Currently it.uk just fowards to it.com

Their business model appears to be the resale of subdomains.

However, rule 7 of the Nominet Domain Registration Rules specifically disallows the resale of subdomains on .uk second-level domains...

https://nominet.uk/wp-content/uploa...0.1211620629.1654180824-1917590635.1654180824

The .uk is the top level so maybe not prohibited. Either way I can't see it being massively successful.

Clicked through their ad myself too and read the dnjournal article.

Currently it.uk just fowards to it.com

Their business model appears to be the resale of subdomains.

However, rule 7 of the Nominet Domain Registration Rules specifically disallows the resale of subdomains on .uk second-level domains...

https://nominet.uk/wp-content/uploa...0.1211620629.1654180824-1917590635.1654180824

Yes, at first I thought it was a domain registry selling all domain names (good idea, especially with IT.com) but then I noticed it wasn't after reading the DNJournal article. Apparently they're selling subdomains of it.com (ben.it.com for example).

I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd register one though.

A waste of a great opportunity. I don't understand the rationale of buying it.com to provide subdomains. I suspect it won't last long in its current form.

:) this is an already tested business model.

CentralNIC are already doing this with uk.com and us.com

If you have a super cool idea for your **.it.com > come to London Domain Summit and hit me up > I will introduce you to the owner of Intis Telecom, and maybe they can give your .it.com super cheap.

.. I personally have: jobs.it.com (will start working on it after the Domain Summit).. not wordpress :D :D

also, hand-registered hosting.it.com for $49/year :) .. plan to develop this one 100%.

H

Last edited:
Strange that Intis Telecom would presumably want it.com for their own initials and yet they are using it as a faux gtld.

Back in the early 2000s .uk.com domains and similar were quite popular. I think the general population had only just become familiar with .co.uk and .com and so these similar-sounding subdomains appeared to be a reasonable alternative for many businesses who weren't quick enough to register their name in .co.uk or .com. I even remember seeing a hairdresser in Cambridge who had a sign outside their shop with a domain which I think was hair.uk.co - I thought they had misprinted their domain until later I discovered some clever bastard had bought "uk" in Columbia's cctld .co and was selling subdomains.

But nowadays things are quite different. There are so many new tlds as alternatives, it is relatively easy to find good taken domains up for sale and of course in this country you have 2 chances to get your keyword(s) in a UK domain with .uk and .co.uk. I can't imagine ever wanting to buy a subdomain now.

It also seems a bit short-sighted for a telecom company to not reserve hosting.it.com and any other major telecom/ internet related keywords for themselves in case they want to branch out into that related market in the future.

And why haven't they changed their own domain to intistelecom.it.com? If they don't believe in it enough to use it themselves why should anyone else? Although personally if I were in their shoes I think I would keep the prestigious it.com and www.it.com for their own website (with a large, unmissable "Register your .it.com domain" ad on the page for visitors looking for that) and keep the .it.com subdomains business on its own subdomain e.g. registry.it.com or something like that.

Strange that Intis Telecom would presumably want it.com for their own initials and yet they are using it as a faux gtld.

.. they have around 50 LL (it) cctlds ;)

--

Are you coming to London this August? :)

Best wishes,
Helmuts

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom