Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

I've just been in a plane crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I’m feeling very lucky and given yet another reminder that I should secure a back-up plan for my family in the event that my domains are passed to them.

My father has a private pilot’s licence and it was my grandfather’s birthday today so we flew to see him for the day. As we came into land (at about 70mph) a strong side wind pushed us off course. Unfortunately it happened last minute which we couldn't correct due to the reduced power of the engine needed for landing. We clipped a hedge running 5m to one side of the strip which threw us to the ground, spun us and took out both wings, tail and back wheel. Luckily the cockpit remained untouched, but the plane is a write-off.

Large branches speared various parts of the plane, which could easily have been us, and if we were travelling faster, higher or the fuel line ruptured it would be a different story. After a visit to hospital we are just shaken, shocked, bruised and whiplashed, but tomorrow I’m going to write down all my domains, passwords and instructions etc to help in the event that something happens to me. I suggest others do the same if they haven’t already.

I'll try to get a few photos up tomorrow if I can get them off my Dad.

Last edited:
Wow that sounds scary, glad you are OK

Thanks Admin, it's not something I would want to repeat, but it is a story that I hope will earn me pints at the pub :p It's also prompted me to do things like write down passwords and plans for domains/businesses etc that would help the family if anything happened.

jesus!
glad you're okay
certainly one to dine out on!
hope your dads insured!

Crazy, Lucky your ok.

If you want any life insurance or anyone for that matter i'm qualified and licensed by the FSA to write protection policies for both life cover and critical illness cover, i'm fully independent and cover the whole of the market! I wont charge acorn members either.

If anyone wants a quote let me know will only take a few minutes :)

Thanks

Mike

Holy cow....thats my biggest fear... plane crash... that or being eaten by a shark...

You have been lucky... buy some lottery tickets and just thank the lord or whatever you and your Dad are okay !

Glad to hear you are ,

Sounds like you were very lucky

Im shit scared of flying lol

thats why i will never fly....if we were supposed to fly we would have been born with wings!!

glad to hear you are all ok though :grin:

Glad you and your dad are ok after the crash, sounds like you had a very lucky escape.

I'm another who'll never set foot on a plane, never been overseas apart from on ferries to France and Ireland, at least you have a chance on the sea if there's an accident.

Glad to hear you are okay Alex, there's something deep down inside of me that would almost 'like' to survive a plane crash. Not sure why, but I guess you felt a massive buzz when you realised you weren't going to die?!

Sounds scary Alex!

Do you think this will put you and your father off flying?

Very scary, lot's of stories about those smaller planes and yes reminds me about passwords etc which i must do, oh and a will.

Pred, please remove the picture of me from your sig, it offends me :rolleyes:

yes i wasn't aware i had a problem with flying until i sat on a plane....i have never felt so ill in my whole life,couldn't catch my breath and couldn't unbuckle the seatbelt which made me panic...

glad you escaped.....

Hope your alright make sure you take painkillers for that whiplash can be very painful

Thanks for the comments. Dad’s just sent me this one photo (I’ve painted out the registration). I'm in Rutland and the Plane is in Kent so it is unlikely I'll see it again, however my Grandfather is going to get the rest of our stuff from it so I'll ask him to grab a few more photos. We're fine today, a little stiff, but no pain. Dad is a bit down, but it was his 'baby' so it's understandable.

As for flying, light aircraft are much nicer than commercial jets. I certainly haven't been put off and will go again at the next opportunity. I don't like flying on commercial planes, as I'm sure many here don't, but flying a light aircraft is a completely different experience. They're great fun and accidents are very rare.

plane.jpg

It was a shame because the flight was perfect, but about 30 seconds from landing a strong wind pushed us, we only just compensated then last minute it happened again and that was it - easily done.

I guess you felt a massive buzz when you realised you weren't going to die?!

I didn't think I was going to die, but a few seconds before I thought this isn't right and wondered what was going to happen. Then as the alarm went off about 1 second to go I thought this is going to hurt! It was very bumpy and we were thrown about, but it only lasted a few seconds and as I said we were both fine.

There was a buzz afterwards from the adrenaline, but soon after it was more the realisation that we had lost the plane and would be getting a train and taxi back. The funniest part about it was I was slapped across the face with the map which hurt, but everyone seems to think it is hilarious given the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom