Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Japanese mobiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Since seeing the quality of mobile phones in Japan on tv the other day I am thinking about buying one direct. Has anyone ever done this and can anyone recommend a japanese site that ships to the UK. I can't find any at all?

Cheers, Grant

Sure it wasn't Korea?
I saw bbc click, on bbc news Saturday morning and they showed all the latest mobiles from Korea. Very impressive! 10mp cameras and all sorts.
8GB Hard drive.

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click

Last edited:
Ah, maybe it was Korea. Anyone got any links to Korean mobile shops that ship to the UK :)

Grant

They more than likely won't work on our networks and in some cases won't support english language. (Unless you use a Korean/Japanese sim card with roaming)

If there is a particular phone you want from Korea let me know what it is and i'll get you a price, should also be able to see what networks they support.

Cheers mate, I'll have a browse around. I'm just looking for something a bit different to be honest, getting a bit bored of the same olds..

Grant

Since seeing the quality of mobile phones in Japan on tv the other day I am thinking about buying one direct. Has anyone ever done this and can anyone recommend a japanese site that ships to the UK. I can't find any at all?

Cheers, Grant
...Hi Grant,

I used to work for the section of Nokia that developed handsets for the Japanese market and there are a few things you need to know...

You'll be hard pushed to find a Japanese mobile that will work in the uk (at least properly that is). It's a bit easier now 3G is here, but it's more likely than not that any mobile you buy from Japan will be 3G/PDC rather than 3G/GSM. It's also worth noting that there are different 'flovours' of 3G, as well.

So in short - If you're buying from Japan be very wary and don't expect it to work properly in the UK.

You're are right though - Japanese mobiles are the business - DoCoMo has VERY strict requirements and the Mobile Manufacturers use Japan as the testing ground for new inovations.

Cheers,

Sneezy.

Cheers Sneezy, this is starting to sound like it may involve a lot of hassle :)

Grant

Hopefully won't take too long to hit here. Although they were already talking about 4g networks and wibro on the programme!!!

One phone was for dj's and actually had a wheel for scratching!

I think you can view the programme on the bbc site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts