Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Laptop

Discussion in 'General Board' started by essexboy, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. essexboy

essexboy Active Member

Any recommendations on a laptop to replace a desktop?
    Want to use for web/photoshop and gaming. so ideally 4gb ram 500gb+ hd and pref large screen

Am thinking of a HP HDX18 but would prefer to spend less.

2. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

If you want advice on a gaming laptop it may be worth asking over at the Overclockers UK forums, as a lot of gamers into their hardware hang out there.

My main gripe with laptops is reliability levels and the drives dying very early. My Toshiba laptop drive died last month after just over a year's use, and someone else I know who bought a mid-range HP had the same happen to them. I think it's pretty hard to buy a reliable laptop, but for value for money then Dell is normally hard to beat. Whatever you do make sure you keep everything backed up and buy an external USB backup drive if necessary.

You may also find my site useful for getting an overview of the market:

Laptops at Low Prices

Rgds

3. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Sony all my laptops are Sony they're not as expensive as it used to be, My last one lasted me for 6 years before a lighting strike.

Good for show ;)

4. essexboy

essexboy Active Member

I've got an old vaio and a toshiba portege and not overly mpressed although there is a new vaio I quite like the look of. but I'm really not a sony fan in anything especially their customer service.

5. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

yes they are far from ideal,if you look on ebay there are as many listings for broken laptops then ones that are o.k,i had a vaio and it spent more time dismantled than working,the warranty ran out and one month later hard drive packed up. :confused:

mark

6. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

but it looks cool.....

7. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

Sony vaio for me too.

Overclockers do offer a custom laptop build service so perhaps that may be an option. The gamers seem to like these.

Gary

8. dtm

dtm Active Member

9. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

ive got a dell inspiron 9300, had it bout 5 years now. took out the extended warranty (which was about £80) and the screen packed up 3 weeks ago. phoned up dell Friday @ 3pm and engineer was with me @ 10am Monday! superb!

all my hardware is dell, its just built properly. I bought my wife a cheap dell 2 years ago and that went wrong quickly, hard drive packed up, keyboard went, so their cheapies arent so good but the business class ones are excellent.

10. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

If I were in the market for one right now I would possibly go for a Thinkpad. Not cheap, but well made and durable. Certainly no 'cool' factor like an Apple or a vaio, but it does the job.

11. essexboy

essexboy Active Member

I'm down to 4

HP HDX18
    Dell Studio XPS
    Acer Aspire 8930
    Sony Vaio

12. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Just got a good deal on a HP 6830s P8400 Core 2.2Ghz with 17" screen and 250gb hdd. Brand new with 12month warranty for £500 delivered! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.