Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Laser Printer Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone got any Recommendations for a cheap economical to run home laser Printer for uni work I'm geting sick of my slow arse inkjet.

A lot of the cheaper ones I've looked at the toner cartridges seem to cost a fortune when they need replacing.

The Brother DCP7030 is one I’m considering just wondering has anyone here got any other recommendations it dosent have to have a scanner but would be a bonus

I've got one of these...

HP P1102W - £75 from amazon.

Not got a scanner but the wireless works very well.

...The Brother DCP7030 is one I’m considering just wondering has anyone here got any other recommendations it dosent have to have a scanner but would be a bonus[/COLOR]

Please, forget Brother printers. Absolutely useless drivers, rarely updated. Not good at all.

I would second the HP brand choice for both quality and toner cost. Just choose the right model for your budget.

I've been buying Lexmark, but have spent substantially more than £100 so I cannot comment on their sub £100 models. I imagine one pays for what one gets. :)

HP all the way, I would avoid budget brands like Lexmark.

Lexmark are no more/less a budget brand than any of the other major laser printer manufacturers. One gets what one pays for because margins are tight due to intense competition between manufactuers, and a large number of internal parts come from generic factories.

All of the major manufacturers offer models at different price points, with different features and different build qualities. I've owned HP and I've owned Lexmark. My decision to switch to Lexmark was based on an indepth review of the particular model I liked, and it having features that pursuaded me it was the model I wanted at the time. Incidentally it cost me around £2,000; not something that I'd consider budget. :)

Any sub £100 laser printer is going to be of a significantly lesser specification than one into the mid £hundreds. If, however, the model does all you need then no bother. One can only really look on the manufactuer's sites and then look for comparative reviews between the models that fit the budget because one can only reliably comment on the particular models one has had personal experience with.

Do you want some sort of respect for having a £2000 printer? You obviously aren't in a position to answer his question with personal experience so why bother? Your initial post was almost a put-down to the OP for being in the market for a cheap printer.

Do you want some sort of respect for having a £2000 printer? You obviously aren't in a position to answer his question with personal experience so why bother? Your initial post was almost a put-down to the OP for being in the market for a cheap printer.

I've already clarified that there's nothing at all wrong with having a sub £100 printer if it does all you need but clearly in life one generally gets what one pays for. If you, or anyone else, feels that this obvious statement constitutes a put down then I suggest seeking some sort of emotional counselling.

Your point that Lexmark is a budget brand is simply your ignorance, as anyone can see by browsing through online printer marketplaces. I specified the price of my printer, in response to your post merely to demonstrate the idiocracy of your statement and nothing else. I didn't set its price and I'd have been happy to pay less. It just happened to be what I needed to spend to buy a model that fulfilled my requirements.

I've used a konica minolta magicolor for a few years (I've added the duplex unit, so may put it out of budget), however, my reasoning was that the toner is affordable, there were many cheaper printers, but had much lower page yield.

I'd suggest taking a look at refill and original cartridge costs as the budget lasers are now going the same route as inkjets where the consumable costs far outweigh the printer costs. A little on the budget now may save a fortune over time.

Best b/w laser I've had was a Lexmark E232 for high usage
For low usage Samsung ML-1610
Best Colour Laser printer is HP CP1515n

Lots of research done on these before purchase... some are now out of date but have replacements....

The best thing to do is find a decent one on ebay to be frank.... I bought a replacement E232 on ebay for £45-00... never had a problem with it in 2 years

Replacement cartridges is always the biggest cost - apparently the new Kodak printers are meant to be the best for replacement item costs....

Good luck!

I've used a konica minolta magicolor for a few years (I've added the duplex unit, so may put it out of budget), however, my reasoning was that the toner is affordable, there were many cheaper printers, but had much lower page yield.

I've found that adding or specifying duplex has been an excellent, and obvious, way to not only cut down on paper spend but on document thickness. Built in ethernet (and wireless as an option) is also something I wouldn't want to do without. Being tied to USB or having to source an external print server isn't my preference.

I'd suggest taking a look at refill and original cartridge costs as the budget lasers are now going the same route as inkjets where the consumable costs far outweigh the printer costs. A little on the budget now may save a fortune over time.

I agree although I think when faced with spending £100 or £500 on a printer, many consumers will still believe that they can buy 4 more replacement budget printers, if necessary, before they reach the cost of the midrange model and that will be the deciding factor. The same often applies to some people choosing between washing machine models.

I've already clarified that there's nothing at all wrong with having a sub £100 printer if it does all you need but clearly in life one generally gets what one pays for. If you, or anyone else, feels that this obvious statement constitutes a put down then I suggest seeking some sort of emotional counselling.

Your point that Lexmark is a budget brand is simply your ignorance, as anyone can see by browsing through online printer marketplaces. I specified the price of my printer, in response to your post merely to demonstrate the idiocracy of your statement and nothing else. I didn't set its price and I'd have been happy to pay less. It just happened to be what I needed to spend to buy a model that fulfilled my requirements.

So what information have you shared in this thread?

1) The fact you have a £2000 printer

2) That you believe people get what they pay for

Very helpful indeed.

There is a reccurring theme in your posts whereby you are either boasting about something, talking down to someone or telling us how you could run a better forum.

I think I've read enough of your posts to last a lifetime. You are now on ignore so when you break this post down into sections to make smart arse replies I won't even see it. Have a nice day :D

Thanks guys for all the input a friend has just offered me there old dell laser for free.

Cartridges are quite expensive for it but if the number of printouts are accurate one one high yield toner should probably last me the year.

Special Thank you to Caz as well who also made me a very generous offer via PM

So what information have you shared in this thread?

1) The fact you have a £2000 printer

2) That you believe people get what they pay for

Very helpful indeed.

As per my first post, for the OP to consider Lexmark as an option. Pretty obvious I would have thought!:p

There is a reccurring theme in your posts whereby you are either boasting about something, talking down to someone or telling us how you could run a better forum.

Maybe you consider someone stating that their laser printer cost £2,000 equates to boasting but I'm not so simple. Should I be ashamed to have spent this much? ;) How ridiculous can someone think? As I previously said, I only mentioned the price I paid because you came out with "I would avoid budget brands like Lexmark. ". Given that Lexmark sell printers at this price point, it seems more than obvious that they are not a budget brand. I suspect you probably said that just because you like making moronic statements, which is why you've chosen not to retract it.

In respect of talking down to someone, I'm sometimes blunt but there are a number of morons on here and after a while my patience begins to wear thin. Intelligent people get over that.

I think I've read enough of your posts to last a lifetime. You are now on ignore so when you break this post down into sections to make smart arse replies I won't even see it.

Putting me on ignore certainly won't cause me to refrain from replying to your posts, especially if I think the information within is flawed, because other people will read it. However I'm confident you'll take me off ignore everytime you see one of my posts because you'll get that niggling feeling of just needing to know what I have posted. :)

Now I'm off to stick my fingers in my ears, and shout "LA-LA-LA-LA-I-CANNOT-HEAR-YOU!" and then maybe I'll fill all the paper bins on my Lexmark and do a mass print right infront of the window to give me some kind of self-justification given I've spent TWO THOUSAND POUNDS on it. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for all the input a friend has just offered me there old dell laser for free.

Cartridges are quite expensive for it but if the number of printouts are accurate one one high yield toner should probably last me the year.

Special Thank you to Caz as well who also made me a very generous offer via PM

No need to thank me either. It's quite alright. :) Seriously, I think it's nice to see that you had a friend who was able to help. I hope the Dell suffices. If it happens to go wrong, don't forget about Lexmark. ;):p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom