Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Lease or Licence?

Discussion in 'Domains For Rent' started by LetDomains, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LetDomains New Zealand

LetDomains Member

Using the correct terminology. Americans usually use license (with an “s”) not licence (with a “c”). All domains are licensed via a Registrar with the appropriate Registry. The domain is not “owned”. The domain “owner” is the registrant for that domain. If you buy an existing or aftermarket domain you are buying the registration from the current registrant. The registration is transferred. Some Domain “owners” are now “leasing”. The correct terminology is licensing (licensing), renting or hiring. We call it let domains. That covers everything from leasing, licensing, hiring, renting and letting. If you are leasing or renting a domain it is a licence (or sub-licence).

How are people getting on with leasing there domains out?

2. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell it doesn't happen very often.

I've leased two - one because the price was very high, potentially worthwhile but I wasn't sure how well the project would go. It hasn't failed completely but hasn't taken off either so I've avoided a potential big loss.

The other one I bought outright after a few months because the price came down.

IMHO it's only worthwhile on really premium domains - and then the owner is taking a big risk because whoever leases it could easily destroy the value with penalties etc.

3. LetDomains New Zealand

LetDomains Member

I Recently Leased a domain aswell. Just to see what traffic it was getting. I paid "£500.00 for 3 months. madness' well It was getting around 1000 Direct hits a month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.