Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

london.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by SimonFox, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i4v.net

i4v.net Active Member

The below Alphamale article worries me.

It wouldnt take much for the UK GOV to put a bill through and lean on Nominet to reclaim london.co.uk and the other big UK geo domains.

Im being brutal here - if I was in the uk Gov. IT section etc., and had some power I'd look at your london.co.uk site which is representative of one of the most famous cities in the whole world and think it a disgrace - a complete joke. On top of that manchester etc too!

On that basis I would make supreme efforts to acquire it especially with the olympics due soon.

It could be done over night with one phone call to Nominet by the right person. SO the balls in your court... ;)

2. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

^ The bloke comes on here and tells us about his great domain names, next thing you know we're putting the sh1ts up the poor guy that he may lose them some time in the future!

Welcome to the domain community!! :)

3. i4v.net

i4v.net Active Member

Im just exploring the worst case scenario.

I own some famous UK geo domains im worried too.

see who owns internet.co.uk the same reasons for nominet with holding this can be applied ot geo domains esp. domains like london.co.uk IMHO.

4. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

Non use

Maybe a claim for non use but high;y unlikely they could go back....the law does not allow for one entity to disrupt anothers business so if you derive income from your name then I can't see how it could be taken away from you....however If you parked the name and didn't add value in any mamer then sure...you are trading off the city name

Lee

5. Alpha United Kingdom

Alpha Active Member

ahhh, common-sense and fairness. If only those two were criteria in a WIPO, UDRP etc

sadly, greed, corruption and who has the biggest budget for a lawyer are the only qualities you need.

still Lee, nice to see you still have faith in the process :rolleyes:

6. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

7. SimonFox United Kingdom

SimonFox Member

thanks, i know Ive only just turned up here but i have had a lot of advice, thats why i came here in the first place. all advice is good advice. thank you.

8. mxm

mxm Active Member

london.co.uk - make it into a recyling portal :)

Only joking... :rolleyes:

As mentioned by other domainers SF, you could benefit right now from the surge in london interest and of course the property values... however a valid point, for a good development of these oldies would be, as mentioned in the thread,to develop some sub domain action... we have had great success in using very old, generic, DN's to generate a "buzz" then selloff to a bluechip or venture capitalist group... what may interest you also is the potential as a community driven portal... this would be a long term and very interesting way of putting to use the good names you hold... advertising with Commision Junction is lazy.... as you say... but after so long sitting on them, what will a few more years matter... other than they will rise in price :rolleyes:

on another point: can you PM us IF you would like to sell them outright or have a joint venture project?

whatever you do with them, good luck and remember your 1st profit is your best profit... e.g London.com ;)

9. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

why are there two threads going at the same time on this domain?

Trying to double your money Simon? I'm not offering GBP 20,000....yet :)

10. paul

paul Well-Known Member

If it was going for that much I'd be at the front of the queue ;)

I wonder if Simon would be tempted to sell london.co.uk if there was some hard cash on the table? I'll start the bidding at £50K :)

11. SimonFox United Kingdom

SimonFox Member

my view currently is that many of these names may well form a bridge between local search, which is only incrasing in value and local news and media groups.

comments please

12. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

I don't believe that london co uk will realize it's full value in a sale atm. The interest in the run up to 2012 will be immense & that will be the time to sell, leaving time for someone to develop a site before the Games of course.

Hold on if you can afford to & be careful that any development you do now does not detract from it's saleability.

13. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

To be honest mate, they aint worth a candle...

Am finking you will be lucky to do more than a monkey each for em. Ill give yer a pony for london.co.uk. Cant say fairer than that...deal?

14. SimonFox United Kingdom

SimonFox Member

Wise words Gimpy. My primary aim is to develop the URL,make money and have fun. if a big media group decides it ties everything together, print search, web, TV and radio then all the better. it is, after all, a very good name for a london daily newspaper dont you think?

15. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I notice you also have Hampshire.co.uk

16. mxm

mxm Active Member

merge of threads - london.co.uk

Maybe a merge by admin to put the 2 threads on "london.co.uk" together so "values" & "ideas" to help SF may help... ;) we just went to answer and realised there were 2 as well!

So would you like help develop these SF? if so... dump CJ and start making some hit to value returns with sub directories and affiliate links... :cool:

17. SimonFox United Kingdom

SimonFox Member

Agreed.

There has been much discussion in respect of banners. The only reason we do them is in the absence of any better ideas. It is the absolute minimum to show trading and requires no input from us. Remember you lot are seasoned professionals and have been doing it far longer than us.

the space the name london.co.uk deserves is that occupied by people like visit London, londontown and time out.

what we haven't seen in these threads are comments like "go away you wally you've got a crap name"

my job is to try and put something together on a bigger scale as soon as possible. Humble banners to remain until we work out exactly what to do.

It is very reassuring that if I fail to make a go of it then I need look no further for my £10K and two bars of Yorkie

Thanks all of you for your help so far:)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  18. rob

rob Founding Member

Why do you feel you need to show trading on the site?

19. SimonFox United Kingdom

SimonFox Member

its real activity not parking or squating. but i am sure i dont know all there is to know on the subject.

and we do make a few quid off those banners you know:D

20. rob

rob Founding Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_parking

I would argue that a few banner ads and links to other sites is hardly 'real activity', I would also argue that its your name so it doesnt matter what you do (within reason) ;)

As a few others have already mentioned, it could be worth getting advice from active domainers / web dev agencies etc as I believe whoever advised you to do the 'minimum' to 'show trading' was barking up the wrong tree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.