Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

LOOKING BACK AT 1 YEAR .UK DROP CATCHING

Are you using CatchTiger.com

• Total voters
I don't want to derail the conversation at all, but...

@ErikL On a side note - do you provide a feed or list of completed domain auctions?
I have created a database of UK domain name sales over the last 10 years, and I would like to add you to the list of Platforms for domain sales.

Head over to the following thread for more details: https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/threads/historic-uk-domain-sale-prices.146518/

If you do provide a feed or list, could you give me the details so I can add your details?
If you don't provide a feed or list, is this something that you could provide?

@seemly, we don't want to share a list of completed auction prices because some of our customers are domainers that want to sell there domain. If the prices are public available this could be in their disadvantage. I can share a list of catches with you, but I don't think this is interesting?

Hello. I can say for sure that you have not caught over 50% of the desirable* domains that have dropped.

*A domain that has the top priority on the day with multiple drop catchers going after it.

Last edited:
@seemly, we don't want to share a list of completed auction prices because some of our customers are domainers that want to sell there domain. If the prices are public available this could be in their disadvantage. I can share a list of catches with you, but I don't think this is interesting?

I understand that some domainers would want to keep their domain sales private, just as there will be some that actually want it to be publicised.
Maybe giving your customers (domainers) the option to opt-out of publicly listing domain sales could be an option?

I think the blanket decision to just not publicise is more hurtful to the industry. But maybe that is a biased opinion.

Hello. I can say for sure that you have not caught over 50% of the desirable* domains that have dropped.

*A domain that has the top priority on the day with multiple drop catchers going after it.

@lazarus that's not what I'm saying. I quote the blog "Please keep in mind that this is based on what everybody had bid on CatchTiger, which will only partly overlap with what other .uk drop catchers wanted to catch, which will distort the picture somewhat in our advantage."

Overall we have a catch percentage around 50% on all domains with a bid (minimum order value €35) and that we try to catch. This could be premium domains, traffic domains, end user domains, bad domains etc. But if you want to now the exact catch percentage of "desirable* domains that have dropped" Please place a bid and share your stats :)

Well I stand by them catching around 6-7% of contested domains based upon what I monitor; but that is subjective of my preferences. Still a decent percentage mind, but at the cost of potentially high bids versus public/private catchers. Nicely profitable for Catch Tiger though I suspect.

Now that is an impressive number/quality of domains caught by DOMEINWINKEL today:

propertybroker.co.uk
gbc.uk
ecoliving.uk
blis.co.uk
eab.uk
rev.uk
cashflow.uk

Based upon a single tag rotating between domains, I'd say that is an impossible feat.

You must have something very special in your system.

I wonder what others think, luck, skill, or something else?

Very very lucky. To be rotating multiple domains all day and always having lots of quota left to catch highly sought after domains at any minute ;)

It could be all in the timing, as was the case in a similar scenario several years ago. This time alchemy sounds more plausible. The original post may have unintended consequences.

Would many other people have been chasing the high prebid names ? reducing the hooks, still impressive.

Would many other people have been chasing the high prebid names ? reducing the hooks, still impressive.
Reduced tags per domain owing to the volume of reasonable quality drops today (with most going for one at a time), but on rotation to catch all those, I'm sceptical (as ever!)

I saw some of these highly contested 12 hours apart by different tags (obviously they had used all their quota in between). However this quota seems to stretch more than others. Almost as if it's not being used when there is nothing in the list dropping...

Various tags appear to have found "glitches" at various times and catch everything in sight, its not unexpected that someone finds a pattern or glitch sooner.

Not saying that have, but also not unexpected.

In the end I thought there was a pretty obvious pattern to the drop time within the day of the actual drop, in fact it got the point where I didn't even bother turning the system on for whole periods of the day because you just knew there was a good 80% chance it was a waste of time... (everyone left there system off between ##:59 and ##:59 yes? lol). Finding the pattern just means you have to solve the other problem of catching it..

Certainly interesting though. Yes tags have found tricks in the past, which have led to the same tags picking up almost all domains, however, this is very different, to rotate such volume of domains and be successful so much means something else entirely. It might be that there is a pattern, though Nominet swear that it is entirely random in terms of order, timing etc. It just means us tag holders chasing domains need to look that bit harder, assuming DW have stumbled upon something that can be genuinely considered the latest 'trick'.

gbc.uk
eab.uk
rev.uk

I didn't even have those loaded, didn't know they were dropping... were they on domainview / DL as dropping? Getting sloppy in my old age.

Just checking, do you have ".uk" ticked in the filters?

gbc.uk
eab.uk
rev.uk

I didn't even have those loaded, didn't know they were dropping... were they on domainview / DL as dropping? Getting sloppy in my old age.
Yes, two of them were listed, but rev.uk wasn't, which is possibly why I managed to pick it up (via domeinwinkel) without competition.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom