Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

LOOKING BACK AT 1 YEAR .UK DROP CATCHING

Are you using CatchTiger.com

• Total voters
This catching sucess may be the difference from using the Delayed DAC to using the real time DAC? Less traffic ?

This is a belief I had, but given their voting rights are fairly equal to mine, they cannot have many domains in their ownership, and for the delay DAC to be fruitful, you'd need the volume of a fairly large registrar. They may of course be using an association with one, but that would possibly be against Nominet's own terms.

*edited due to my own stupidity*
got dac and epp mixed up
A delayed dac response is delayed by 100ms. His luck is allowing him to continuously slip into known 5ms gaps (at any time of day) which certainly would be precluded by delayed dac usage for lookup - a domain would be long gone by the time you saw it as available.

I think Tim meant the 5ms gap.

There is a synchronization delay between the database/epp/ DAC, where a domain is shown available but has already been caught. The same is true when a domain is currently registered and drops. By the the time the DAC reflects the update the domain has already been released for a number of ms.

I just picked a round figure. I can aggregate the logs of all chasers using my software to go for a domain and a lot of the time there is 5ms or less between each of their requests.

Your success rate seems to have dropped significantly recently Erik, is there any reason for this?

It is obvious when someone finds a trick or two that lasts for a period of time. That is the reason.

Your success rate seems to have dropped significantly recently Erik, is there any reason for this?

Hi Sean, unfortunately that's true, our catch percentage has increased to an average of 50%*. That is a reduction of 7% since we wrote the blog (9 months ago). The biggest reason for this is that we get more bids than 9 months ago. Since then we have grown more than 100% in bids. Besides that the competition is also strong. For us it will obviously never be possible to catch everything, we always have competitors. But as long as we stay around 50%, we are still satisfied. That does not mean that we are stuck, we continue to work on improvement.

*This is our average catch percentage for UK. Please keep in mind that this is based on domains we try to catch, which will only partly overlap with what other .uk drop catchers. Next to that the catch percentage for every individueel customer of CatchTiger can be different depending on which domains they bid on.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom