Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

MajesticSEO site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How accurate is MajesticSEO for checking back links?

Reason I ask is, if I check a domain on there, it might say zero back links, yet on another link checking site it will show possibly loads more than that.

I'm not a registered member of that site, so I only check back links whilst logged out, someone asked me today what site I used for checking links and I pointed them there, they registered and it told them their site had 1442 external back links, I checked the same domain and it says 51, he then logged out of his account and it also showed 51, why the big diffrence? The site doesn't appear to be reliable.

I don't really like Majestic, it doesn't appear to be updated very often :/

@ Blossom, thanks, what sites do you find good for checking back links?

@ Blossom, thanks, what sites do you find good for checking back links?

I use both Majestic SEO and ahrefs.com , talked about these two on my blog but I don't want to spam. If you don't really like Majestic check out ahrefs.

@ Jamie, thanks for the reminder, I had seen that site mentioned recently but forgot to visit it at the time and didn't know the url was.

Ahrefs is fantastic, well worth the money. I also like Open Site Explorer but that's expensive, and even though it's updated monthlyish, it doesn't catch all the links even after an update. Makes you wonder whether Google does...I know they have a ridiculous number of resources in comparison, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need to go all out.

Ahrefs is fantastic, well worth the money. I also like Open Site Explorer but that's expensive

I wouldn't dream of paying for anything to do with SEO, all I need to know is how many links a domain has, and that's it :)

Just checked the Open Site Explorer site, very poor, it's way off on how many links are coming in to one of my sites, it says there are only 5 links, which is completely wrong, should be xxx's as I know exactly which sites have been linking to it for a number of years, and they show on other checkers.

Whatever happened to domain-pop.com, anybody using that these days ?

I used to always use that but now you need to join (think its free still) but I haven't used it in around 6 months now, Majestic and ahrefs are enough for me.

About paying to check backlinks - I would if I was making more money online! One day that day might come!

Ahrefs is fantastic, well worth the money. I also like Open Site Explorer but that's expensive, and even though it's updated monthlyish, it doesn't catch all the links even after an update. Makes you wonder whether Google does...I know they have a ridiculous number of resources in comparison, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need to go all out.

i agree with blossom completely....ahrefs.com is simply the best and updates almost every day...so for back links just go with ahrefs if you can afford....

you may have seen a difference as www.test.com is treated differently to test.com

No mate it's not that, just tried it without the www and it automatically goes to the www version.

[edit]

Sorry, did you mean Open Site Explorer and checking back links on the domain without the www?

Just tried it again on there and there are more results with the www added, now shows 94 instead of 5 without the www

Last edited:
Interesting read. http://www.rankabove.com/news/seo-research/backlink-data-provider-all/

In my opinion, it really depends on your individual circumstances, budget etc. Saying that, if you are looking for the largest volume out there and the most complete picture, then i think most SEOs agree that Majestic is the way to go. I have not really used Ahrefs but might give it a go soon as it seems to have quite a following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom