Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

mobilephones.co.uk in sedo auction reserve met !

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will go for decent cash, but I just hope that Sedo have it 'marketed' outside the usual email-to-users so it goes for its proper value!

Will be interesting to see where it goes, if its 'end user' or reseller/developer.

only one bid so far, so obviously this was the case that the owner accepted an offer and then kicked an auction off the back of it.

would expect a few more bids, if sedo do their part
else i'd just not transfer :)

the bidder will get a mail
"unfortunately we have been unable to contact the owner - kind regards sedo"
maddness!

It's interesting, as about four years ago he wanted £250k for it.

Although I hope it reaches a good price, I don't believe it will sell for more than £35k in the current climate.

It's interesting, as about four years ago he wanted £250k for it. Although I hope it reaches a good price, I don't believe it will sell for more than £35k in the current climate.

I also think the seller has missed the boat on this one.

Compared to a few years ago the market is much more consolidated, there's hardly any independent retailers left and even Orange and T-Mobile are merging.

The networks are slowly but surely taking more business direct and squeezing commissions to third-parties making it much harder for any new entrants to make a decent ROI.

It's surprising that the domain is nowhere in the SERPS, even with a great domain it'll take some serious effort to oust the big boys.

I would be tending to think handset manufactures should be eyeing up domains like this rather than the networks.

Although I hope it reaches a good price, I don't believe it will sell for more than £35k in the current climate.

Interesting prediction James. I think it'll go a fair bit higher than that.

I would be tending to think handset manufactures should be eyeing up domains like this rather than the networks.

Unlikely I'd have thought, they're interested in branding more than anything else and are also global entities rather than UK specific.

To add to my previous post, I think it'll go for more than £35k but would be very surprised if it went for 6 figures.

i'd be shocked if it went for 35k, if its near there when its ending i'll put a bid in myself!

Unlikely I'd have thought, they're interested in branding more than anything else and are also global entities rather than UK specific.

To add to my previous post, I think it'll go for more than £35k but would be very surprised if it went for 6 figures.

I believe that buying a generic product specific domain name can be an extremely cost efficient method of promoting and progressing a brand, 100k + IMO.

Reactions: foz

Well I am sure it will as I know of at least 5 people who would pay more than £50k today for it - myself included !

i'd be shocked if it doesnt go into 6 figures
how could it not?

@ Rob
yes, you would hope Sedo would be picking up the phone and belling top boys in the industry to let them know its on sale, or rather an auction ending in 7 days
problem being boys this big move slow as we all know and may miss the boat
it's fair to say the larger a company gets the slower they move, like an oil tanker trying to stop and change direction
in fact even when you deal with firms with just a few dozen staff you see the difference in speed with which they act, and pay, and communicate etc. compared to an entrepreneur with say 3 or 4 staff

good luck to seller

Pred hits the nail on the head there, but thats the nature of the Sedo 'auction' model.

there's so many potential buyers for this domain though
and as the septic tanks call them 'cellphones', i'm going to say the .co.uk is every bit as good as the .com here
i'm always a bit more wary than most to say .co.uk better than the .com as many do on here because don't forget australia and canada still speak English last time I looked not American, so saves having to own the .ca, .com.au and even .de, so .com best normally imho

anyway, i'm going to say over £300k for this
it's the real value imho
even if as a defensive move to stop someone launching a stand alone brand
think 'carphonewarehouse' and how shite and irrelevant that name is, but they were the first big boys to package all the offerings. i think they should rebrand as this

anyway, having so many potential buyers it has ingredients for the perfect storm, which you need in an auction, or at the very least 2 motivated buyers

Carphone Warehouse own mobiles.co.uk along with a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom