Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

multiple IP UK hosting

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by pendragon, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendragon United Kingdom

pendragon Well-Known Member

Looking for suggestion on the best packages for multiple class c IP UK packages

2. JDubya

JDubya Active Member

3. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

To raise an old debate - why 'Class C'?

4. JDubya

JDubya Active Member

I think it's generally accepted as the "minimum effective dose" for representing diversity - with Class B or A being overkill - providing greater flexibility for site inter-linking.

5. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

I might be wrong (normal) but I think the 'Big G" is wise to class 'C' stuff...

6. JDubya

JDubya Active Member

I agree it's something that they would factor in but also think it would depend on the scale and overall diversification of the back link profile as to what would trip a penalty - or at the least negate any benefit from the links.

I was considering using the above package on such a small scale (interlinking only a handful of related domains) that doing it on the same IP would probably not be a problem - but was looking at an extra shared hosting account and for that price it's an extra layer of diversity for the cost of a regular shared account (plus the domains have protected whois).

7. jwm United Kingdom

jwm Active Member

Depending on how many class c packages you are after you might be better off just buying a few cheap hosting packages from a variety of UK hosts - tso host, krystal etc

Most SEO Hosting companies seem to get shocking reviews for downtime etc

8. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

I think that if you're serious about just a small handful, it will work. For a wider network, there's much more to do. Search posts by 'Dougs'.

9. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

Class C is absolutely meaningless. Google can see the sites are hosted on the same AS# and have the same nameservers.

As said above, just purchase lots of different accounts from different companies if you really believe this will help your SEO.

10. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

Well that's nonsense Darren...

Are you telling me that google devalues the links of an isp like 123-reg that hosts hundreds of thousands of sites purely on the nameservers?

Different C-Blocks are regarded by pretty much every single SEO expert to be an important factor with incoming links..

I use heartinternet as they have 3 or 4 c-blocks and unlimited hosting - if you don't like the IP you get - remove the hosting account and try again.

11. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

No they don't - in the same way that they're not devalued by just being on the same IP or class C. Google uses a lot of information to determine whether sites are "related". Using the third octet of the IP address isn't a good way for them to do this - Google surely knows about CIDR which made classful addressing obselete in the 90s.

If you want to try to scam Google and have a network of sites linking between each other, then just changing the third octet of the IP isn't enough.

12. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

13. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

You said that 'class c is meaningless'

That's not true....

Matt Cutts works for google - you believe everything he says?

14. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

Class C is a meaningless distinction since the mid 90s when CIDR came out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIDR

Inspecting the third octet of an IP address means absolutely nothing in networking terms, it doesn't "tell" you (or Google) anything useful.

15. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

* has nothing to do with the google SERP...

16. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

Why do you say that? Google's interest is in making sure that links between sites are legitimate.

If (as you intimate) that one of those tests involves looking at the third octet of the IP on which two websites are hosted on then you're also saying that Google is relying on classful addressing - that is, that websites hosted on different class Cs are on separate networks. This is not the case and hasn't been the case since the mid 90s.

I can't see Google relying on an outdated routing/addressing methodology (that was outdated when Google started) to determine whether sites are related.

The only people I've generally seen talking about class C addresses are low rate SEO companies.

17. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

I'm not sure you're getting my point...

I understand your point that you say a bunch of sites all linking together on a bunch of different IPs won't get busted... Of course you have to be tactful.

Different 'class C' hosting ISP's usually have different incoming links with different ISPs that have totally different 2nd or 3rd octets - not just 'class c' addresses - but try to write that in a way a non-tech could understand.

Different hosting companies (as you yourself stated) is one way to put a tick in that box - but a good seo friendly ISP will also provide the same level of disparate IP addresses.

Like Heart internet do..

The first 3 hosting sites I've just picked at random have these addresses:

Again - this works for me as my primary site isn't even hosted at heart - and I don't link between the sites.

18. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Think you two should get a room...:D Has the poster found what they were after...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.