Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

My TAG, Nominet and Me

Reaction score
I thought I will delete this post, I create it to let people know that the domains they bought will be transferred to them and to let them know the reason why it was delayed.

My account is fully restored today.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your issues lets be honest nominet are assholes they release the crap .UK and double our nominet bill they dont do any kind of promo deals anymore and they dont even help a nominet member !

Sorry to hear your issues lets be honest nominet are assholes they release the crap .UK and double our Nominet bill they dont do any kind of promo deals anymore and they dont even help a nominet member !

Thank you. I don't know what happened to Nominet, they used to be way helpful than this, the last 5 to 7 years has been different to what Nominet used to be.

I just want to say I think that with the scale of money that Adelere has invested in UK domains over so many years, Nominet should be a bit classier. He is a known customer and can be trusted. He's paid Nominet hundreds of thousands in custom. He is not about to just run off. He wouldn't do that. We all get times of crisis and I would have hoped they could have cut him some more slack. I have always found Adelere honest and a really decent human being. On one occasion he even gave me a .uk domain because he saw I had the .co.uk. That's the sort of person he is. Didn't charge me. Just said, 'Here, have it.' Wouldn't take any money for it. I don't have much savings but I trust Adelere and I would like to encourage anyone willing to give some support, not out of charity but out of solidarity. Between the people who have seen Adelere here at Acorn, and know he is bona fide (and a lovely person), are there any people willing to contribute to help him get out of the tight corner we can all get into sometimes? I'm not sure how much money is needed by Monday, I think he said £6K, and I doubt I have enough savings to help anywhere near enough, but if anyone here has reserves and feels willing to help a good man on say a 6 month loan basis, maybe we could team up? Drop me a line or better still just direct to our friend Adelere. One idea would be that someone with the money here could give A a 6-month loan, with what the lender regarded as £6K worth of domains transferred as security... not for sale, but held in trust until the loan was repaid. Would something like that help? Surely there must be a way? Essentially, the TAG needs to be protected to protect a decent livelihood.

Thank you @Siusaidh, there are lovely people here, I have always said, I have met and dealt with people on this platform, I don't know what they look like but its like I have known them for years and we hangout all the time.
I have received emails from people here already offering to help, but I did let them know that I will post domains and hopefully raised the funds I need from there.

I did not want to post this here, as you can see it's been going on since early April but when Nominet decide to stop me from moving the domains to another TAG when they already told me I can do that, which effectively slows the process of selling.
Nominet did this because they think I am going to run without paying the bills, that huts and I don't really know someone could run away with .UK names away from Nominet. That I don't understand how. Its like I'm been punished, I tried to figure out what why, what is their gain? If I have not dealt with Nominet before may be I would not have an expectation.

You know one night I was watching my domains dropping and don't know what to do. I found out they had an emergency number, I have never had to call this number. I called that night and you know, I had to add renewal fees into my account for the remaining domain that will drop that weekend so that the support guy can put a stop from them dropping.

The money I paid into my account that night was not to renew the domains but to just to put a stop from them dropping. I have had the worst experience I can have with Nominet, I hope its the worst anyway.

I know this will pass like every other events.

Thanks a lot my people.

Last edited:
Good luck Adelere. I wonder if how you voted at the EGM has swayed their decision to treat you with such callousness.

I hope you raise the money and/or come to an agreement with someone very kind and wealthy here.

I wonder if how you voted at the EGM has swayed their decision to treat you with such callousness

Thanks a lot Ben. I hope not, it would mean they did not get the message of the EGM and that will be a shame.

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you. I suspect they've lost money in what they consider is a similar situation in the past - of course the individuals/companies involved are different and that should really form part of the decision making process. More likely they have set rules with no flexibility which when you're a long standing customer who is being open and forthcoming feels like a personal insult.

I suppose it's also difficult to understand this fiscal prudence given the gallimaufry of loss making, side projects they've been involved in. It's not unusual for suppliers to support customers but perhaps they like the revenue but don't like our business model?

I suppose it's also difficult to understand this fiscal prudence given the gallimaufry of loss making, side projects they've been involved in. It's not unusual for suppliers to support customers but perhaps they like the revenue but don't like our business model?

That's a really good point. In the past few years, Nominet has paid out at least £7.5 million on failed and loss-making ventures (CyGlass, Automated Cars, Spectrum White Space), and in that context I'd argue that a little humility wouldn't go amiss in terms of flexibility and support for a long-term customer who has paid hundreds of thousands of pounds into their coffers.

I'd point again that Adelere has some very good domains (worth more than the names listed so far) which could be 'held in trust' by a wealthier member of this community as security in return for a 6-month or 12-month loan. To me that would just make sense, though that's up to Adelere. One thing I do know - he doesn't deserve to lose his TAG. If there's people richer than me who could cover all or part of a £4000 loan, maybe pm him.

Nominet back ventures that have little to do with UK domains, and spend money on those with no return (CyGlass is running at a loss), and I really think with a sizable long-term customer like A who has helped fund their salaries for so many years in their main (UK domain) business, they could take that context into account and cut him some slack.

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you

Thanks for your comments. I don't want to take it personally, but I am almost 100% sure that the actions they took on me was design for me. These are not what exist in Nominet rule book. Also, this is not the first time Nominet have hold domains for me from dropping, so asking to add £4 to my account when I have over £1k in the account and just added few £100s to the account the day before, just to hold the domain names till end of the month. That was design for me, the out of office hour guy said he is just following the instruction on the account.

Also, I could not speak to anyone, every time I request to speak to someone, no one will speak with me. I thought a lot is been lost in emails but no one will speak to me, until early this month when the same out of office hour guy called and after few minutes into the conversation, I could sense that, he is just pretending to appear he is listening to me.
I had to ask him did you call to discuss and see if you could come to a different conclusion or just tell me that Nominet will stand on their decisions. His reply was yes, I came to tell you that nothing will change from the decisions on the emails.
I asked, how do I get a copy of this conversation, his reply was, Nominet does not have to record all calls, meaning this one was not recorded. The implication of this is that Nominet can say whatever they like and can deny in the future since there is no recordings, it also means that the support guy is open to wrong accusations with no way to defend himself and the customer is open to abuse with no way to defend himself.
This is wrong for a company of this size.

All that said, I don't have anything personal against anyone in Nominet simply because I cannot control what gets thrown at me, I can only control how I react and that's all I have been trying to do. Things gets difficult sometimes and you might react in a way that create more disruptions for yourself but that's life. As much as I don't want to hold anyone responsible for the situation but myself, its hard to shake it off that Nominet could have taking a different position to avoid where we are today.

This is my opinion and Nominet might have a very justifiable reasons for their actions but I gave them the opportunity to do so and all I want to do now is to move on from there and ensure its does not happen again because its not a nice place to be.

(CyGlass, Automated Cars, Spectrum White Space)
If you remove the monopoly of domain names from Nominet operations, most of these side projects will be in administration by now. I don't think Cyglass have the revenue or any IP that will justify the millions paid for it by Nominet. I can only wish them good luck but from the little I know about the IT security industry if there is no money coming from Domains, Cyglass will be in administration today.

A quick update.

I have paid the bill and thanks a lot to everyone who have bought domain names and to everyone that have offered to help and to the one that have helped to ensure I paid the bill today.

I will email Nominet and should have the restrictions lifted and be able to transfer the outstanding domains.

Thanks again and I am watching Chelsea beat Man City. :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom