Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

my worst morning EVER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
8:00am this morning my wife and i are woken by my 7 year old daughter screaming her head off, saying that oscar "our youngest boxer dog" has collapsed, we run dow stairs and hes throwing him self everywhere not breathing, cant stand up, foaming at the mouth, pissing everywhere.
to say my wife freaked out is an under statment!!
we were trying to calm him down and check he hasnt swallowed his tounge but we couldnt do anything. after a couple of miniutes he calmed down so we took him to the emergancey vet, hes been there all day having blood test for epilepsy. hes home now and seems fine, we are all bricking it now if we have to leave him or go to bed.
i know its only a dog but my god that was heart breaking.

does anyone else here have a dog with epilepsy?

Crap, sorry to hear that mate.

I am sure anyone with a pet would agree there is no such thing as "only a dog".

Hope all's well. As decon says, there's no such thing as 'only a dog'. Never heard of canine epilepsy though?

apparently its very common in dogs, i havnt heard that much about it before though.
weve been given a syringe to stick up his butt to relax him if he has one that lasts longer than 5 mins :shock:

Crap, sorry to hear that mate.

I am sure anyone with a pet would agree there is no such thing as "only a dog".

Amen to that.

I've heard of dogs having epilepsy, but nobody I know. Hope the little fella is okay, I thought I had it bad, mine's got fleas at the minute.

Amen to that.

I've heard of dogs having epilepsy, but nobody I know. Hope the little fella is okay, I thought I had it bad, mine's got fleas at the minute.
You should try 'Frontline' - our St Bernard has never had a flea or a tick. That stuff will get rid of fleas REALLY quickly. You only have to squeeze the sachet on the dog's neck area. Dead easy.

frontline is brilliant, abit expensive but its the only thing that works

I've heard of it - my sisters dog has had a few seizures but seems ok now, still very worrying though, some cane corso's have got it but think thats down to bad breeders.

You should try 'Frontline' - our St Bernard has never had a flea or a tick. That stuff will get rid of fleas REALLY quickly. You only have to squeeze the sachet on the dog's neck area. Dead easy.

Both the dog and the cat have been frontlined, but I keep finding the buggers. I've read so many conflicting stories about what works and what doesn't. I suppose the good news is that recently I've found more dead than alive, but they're so resilient, they could come back at any moment, just need to keep vacuuming constantly.

Really sad - two of my sister's dogs have died in a sudden way with a similar shock you faced this morning. It's good that your dog is still alive though traumatic.

Epilepsy in dogs is more common in certain breeds. I watched this programme which was researching Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are bred so small that their skull is too small as their brain grows... it was really disturbing.

Hope that things work out and that it can be controlled with treatment.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Wayne, must have been especially upsetting for your little girl :(

I had a German short haired pointer when I was a kid, it was ok as a puppy, but not long after leaving puppyhood, it started to have a lot of fits, it used to thrash around, frothing mouth, they just lay there twitching.

Another thumbs up for Frontline, we do our 3 cats with it every month, it costs more that your average flea treatment, but it's well worth it.

Frontline stopped being effective with my dogs, they was still getting bitten. Now we use Stronghold which is flea controller an wormer in a tablet that both my dogs LOVE the taste of, strange animals.

Dogs get funny mental states, just like people - schizophrenia is also a problem, especially with golden retrievers and Jack Russells (aka barking rats). That's a lot worse than epilepsy.
At least you know your dog has a condition shared with nobility - like Roman emperors, etc.

Frontline stopped being effective with my dogs, they was still getting bitten. Now we use Stronghold which is flea controller an wormer in a tablet that both my dogs LOVE the taste of, strange animals.

I've stayed away from Stronghold, because UK border control don't accept it as a treatment when bringing dogs back into the country (or so I'm told). May as well give it a try when I'm here.

8:00am this morning my wife and i are woken by my 7 year old daughter screaming her head off, saying that oscar "our youngest boxer dog" has collapsed, we run dow stairs and hes throwing him self everywhere not breathing, cant stand up, foaming at the mouth, pissing everywhere.
to say my wife freaked out is an under statment!!
we were trying to calm him down and check he hasnt swallowed his tounge but we couldnt do anything. after a couple of miniutes he calmed down so we took him to the emergancey vet, hes been there all day having blood test for epilepsy. hes home now and seems fine, we are all bricking it now if we have to leave him or go to bed.
i know its only a dog but my god that was heart breaking.

does anyone else here have a dog with epilepsy?

i know this sounds silly but has your dog come into contact with poison i:e rat poison or gardening treatment or even chewing something in the garden maybe a plant ? because i had a dog that done all the above and when they ran a blood test it was found that it had pesticide in it's bloodstream.

mark

this is somthing we are hoping (in a strange sort of way) although we havnt used any poisons in the garden etc but there is a chance he could have eaten a plant or had a reaction to somthing, we should get the blood results back tomorrow, depending on the results he may be going for a CT scan.
i would be suprised if its been passed down through his family as he is a pedigree from a champion family, but you never know.
last night was scary though going to bed, any noise we heard made us worry but all was ok, i got up at 6 for work this morning and didnt realy want to come down stairs.

thanks chaps for the kind words, it means a lot :wink:

it actually happened to my sister funnily enough she breads boxers,they had the same nervous wait,i know epilepsy can cause convulsions but i wonder why now? my daughter had convulsions when she was one and watching this go on in front of your eyes is horrendous so i know where your coming from.

hope everything turns out o.k for you and i know it sounds silly but if it is poisoning at least something can be done about it,one of my best friends suffers from epilepsy and all the drugs he's on makes him a zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom