Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nah.. all waste of time

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by julian, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

famous last words on the use of any other extension except .com

v.me

2. DomainM

DomainM Active Member

Nice find, but it's been around for ages. V.me is a great idea however if only they invested in advertising. Most of the population have never heard of anything other than .co.uk or .com. I had a client question earlier today asking what a .net was? This was from an intelligent well traveled company owner :S

God only knows what will happen once the new TLDs enter the marketplace.

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Give me their budget and I'll make .jizz cream of the crop ;)

No one has ever denied that any tld can be branded... with enough money.

I did noticed Dick Armour promoting his "dickiearmour.me.uk" at the AGM, I wonder if stands by .me.uk for personal, .org.uk for non-prof etc, and how this affects .UK's purpose. Speaking of .me in general :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Presumably trying very hard to play the "I'm not a corporate, honest" card?

Doesn't affect the consultation one iota - no cause and effect there, no matter how much it might be nice to think there is.

5. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Make hay whilst the sun shines,,,
    Even for mighty com
    With demise or reactive type algorithms etc and the rise of predictive, voice recognition mass info gathering, glasses storing all you view, Mind Meld apps monitoring all you say and hear, before you even think it they'll show you it? will kill even the mighty com within 10 years…Names, extension rarely serve there initial intended purpose why would they need or use them in the future?

6. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Yes, and by the year 2000 we will all be travelling in flying cars and wearing all in one silver space suits.
    The real world does not go away, and the more technical it gets the more we need a solid domain name. Strange how we still use phone numbers and registration plates and attend school rather than all sit at a computer to learn.

7. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

Domain aside it's an interesting concept by Visa.

I remember seeing that site at least a year ago and sadly this is the only time I have seen it since. I thought it may be in widespread use by now.

I buy nearly everything online from Amazon now, partly because I don't need to enter my address and card details (yes, I am lazy, like most people who shop online) This method gives the regular ecommerce store a chance to compete - or even just increase their conversion rate - which I'm sure every etailer wants to do.

8. Skinner

Speak for yourself websaway, there is a guy in front of me wearing a bane style lung trainer mask wearing a silver sweat suit, kinda looks like a space style all in one suit ;)

9. namealot United Kingdom

You and the Amish both agree there...? You really should have a play with the Google Glasses and things like expert labs mind meld. Oh and "g" couldn't give a hoot about names as recent emd situation shows there pretty irrelevant

10. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Yeah I suspect if you spend many millions or tens of millions advertising your made-up name you probably wouldn't care about emd match either. I guess everyone is in the same situation :p Funny thing is I remember back in 2002 people on domainstate saying exactly the same as namealot. I suppose eventually it has to come true.....

11. Skinner

There were a program on TV about technological predictions made over the last 50 yrs and the end result was we (well the experts) can only with any degree of accuracy predict around 2-3 yrs ahead, with each additional year the accuracy drops until its wild speculation.

I believe one of the things they pointed out was that hollywoods future movies tended to be a little more accurate than experts.

12. namealot United Kingdom

Yes suppose so why would search engines want those spending 10s 100s millions to dominate every results when they can have someone with a generic bonus listing high paying them little or nothing….

Yes the days of what all empowering search engine dominating the web was it then...;)

I do believe you can still make a buck or three from domains but in the words Public Enemy "Don't Believe the Hype" :D

13. RobM

RobM Retired Member

I think you misunderstood me or I misunderstood you. I was talking *about* the search engines - not *being* in search engines. I see where you're coming from now.

14. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

Interesting view :)

two things..

1. would you lose any decent best domains if your prediction happened - give me one example you could lose if domains die out.

2. I have customers that advertise on sites that are advertised in magazines, brochures etc. I know for a fact that the main two reason they do it is because of the domains ultra high meaning and credibility when read e.g. www.nicegeneric.com and the serp position.

How will I convey a website in the physical word without a url? (putting aside mind meld and neural implants)

15. retired_member29

retired_member29 Retired Member

Well if you feel that strongly about this im sure a few here will offer you a decent price for those soon to be redundent domains you own :p.

16. namealot United Kingdom

Yes I would loose profit but not name not sure of relevance though seams implied that if you don't then likely to be wrong and if you are more to be correct ? As Ratner found wouldn’t be of a benefit to say not under an illusion preference is sell high? :D

Client will have to pay… Current search engines the ultimate goal is everyone selling etc pays, Is client so naive as to think goal is to provide sellers with a free way to sell there goods?

Generics etc are a hole in the dam how long will they remain unplugged, Do you fill it to max your grip and profit or give it away? Doesn’t client understand google doesn’t care one hoot if you sell your product or anyone can find it you’re not paying them and even if you are its fractional more, plenty of others ready to take your place if you don't like it.

Search engines etc probably have a slightly vested interest in reactive searching as a better money pit but sellers the predictive personalized pre-emptive etc might be beneficial many mock the latter search as flying cars

Does the consumer want to spend there time online looking for a product or service etc do they enjoy walking around a supermarket putting things in a trolley?
    One example supermarkets they already know what you buy, when, how often, what you’ll pay a premium for, what you pay with and what your being charged (Credit cards etc ) to do so, the time, how the weather effect your buying etc

As they offer more services insurance, medical, banking 5 - 10 years on how much do you think they’ll know about you, easy to cross link reference with others geographically, culturally, older, younger, richer, poorer healthier etc to form a complete lifetime of your buying? Club cards etc aren’t being done to send you the odd discount voucher where’s the URL in all that? Why does wall mart have a bigger better computer system then the pentagon?

There is a drive to be first with the consumer that’s been there since year dot. predictive personalized pre-emptive achieves in a way that traditional reactive searches could not even dream of?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  17. namealot United Kingdom

when there fully redundant will be happy to sell them ;)

18. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

You have tiny, very small, small, not so small, small medium, larger medium, medium, etc.etc. sized businesses.

It's not going to predict with any degree of accuracy what benefits each category of business by generalising using large multinationals as examples of the future.

If a very large business owns a top domain name, it's probably just to stop potential similar sector competition, there will be limited effect from the name over and above what is already achieved through spending billions on promotion.

If a small business has an industry or product specific, easy recall, generic domain name , used properly, it will produce extraordinary results.
    That won't change in the foreseeable future.

19. namealot United Kingdom

Works with all the above well

Reactive is very rarely accurate throwing up queries without clicks swallowing resources, £, no benefit to anyone buyer or seller, Same as continuation searches job hunting, travel etc recycling the same junk sites time after time, you're talking millions in man hours, resources etc The pre-emptive etc has the potential to eliminate them far more than reactive ... and you can use pre info as just as well as them?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.