Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Name.com now offering suspended UK domains

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by DaveP, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

On Name.com's expiring domains page, http://www.name.com/expired_domains.php, they are now offering customers the chance to pick up suspended .co.uk/.uk domains.

This is the first time I've seen this happening since Nominet introduced it last year. How long before the other big boys follow suit? Is this the beginning of the end of uk domain drop catching?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Retired_Member42

Retired_Member42 Retired Member

Perhaps it'll limit the amount of drops slightly but lots will slip through the net as they've always done. It won't effect the aftermarket to end user sales too much as whether domainers buy here from people who have caught or bid to get it pre-drop on name.com, it makes little difference.

4. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

My understanding was that the current registrar had to allow the registrant to renew right up to the deletion day or do they simply bang in a renewal for domains with a bid, transfer to themselves and sell if the drop day passes whilst dropping the ones without bids?

5. DaveLeeds United Kingdom

DaveLeeds Well-Known Member

If the owner has chosen 'no' to renewal within their c/p they're as good as saying they don't want it. Is this enough for Names to tout it out?

6. foz

foz Well-Known Member

They may offer it, whether it's competitive is the question.

Haven't seen them on the radar yet.

7. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Misunderstood, I see what they are doing. Selling clients expired inventory.

Not much good quality on the books?

8. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I was at the domain expiry policy meetings, the "desire" of the bigger players was to take ownership on expiry, however, it was agreed that the registrant should have the option to renew until the end of the cycle as this was the published Nominet T&C's, it is possible that the wording of the supplier's T&C's could waive the Nominet T&C's this would need to be tested legally and I'm not aware of any example cases, there was certainly no desire from Nominet to test this prior to allowing take over of expired domains.

9. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Interesting to see they have an exact date and time for the expiry.

I assume that is based on when the customer bought it from them unless they have cracked Nominet's random drop time :)

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Not the case, the expiry they have is the day before the drop, for example miracleguide.co.uk drops on 12th, but with 13 hours remaining, the option to buy ends on the 11th.

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I think they need to work on their pricing before anyone takes it seriously, the most expensive .co.uk domains they list are:

rawsomeliving.co.uk
    goldberg-co.co.uk
    hooliganalone.co.uk
    thegoodlooguide.co.uk

12. TheAngryDog United Kingdom

TheAngryDog Active Member

I believe there priced by how many days till they expire. Closer to expiry the cheaper they get

13. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member

I tried a couple of orders as a test, but both failed at checkout when I try either credit card or Paypal. Anyone else attempted an order? Could be that they've set the system up, but are aware of the issues around it so aren't currently taking orders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.