Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

NameDrive DDOS Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameDriver

NameDrive Staff
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Although we have many measures in place to prevent this, we are currently under an unprecedentedly large DDOS attack currently.
We hope to have everything up very shortly and to keep the downtime to under 30 minutes.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ed

Edit: This is actually a massive attack, so it's taking a little longer than usual to get over this. You will, of course, be fully compensated for the downtime. Again, I apologise for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
wow, I thought it was my pc playing up,any idea who's behind it (or are these various ips)?

Hi bb,

This is not at all related. I actually wrote to the author of the article asking him to remove it as a) the event happened 2 months ago b) we stopped it within 24 hours of it happening c) it was not a Trojan and actually conformed to German law according to the user who did it and d) it was not hosted on our servers, but URL forwarded to our service. He didn't reply.

The attack is really big and is coming from Verizon IPs (a big US provider) but we've got an army of people looking to pummel whoever's got nothing better to do on a rainy Thursday.
The compensation will run into thousands, but we'll make sure that you are not losing out on any of the earnings and that you are all fully compensated.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Ed

Thanks Ed - shame on TheRegister. They used to be cutting edge, but they've long since lost it.

Ahh I tried adding todays catches which have been pointed to ND since the attack.

Oh Well

That explains why I couldn't log in or get just a sample of my domains to resolve.

Thanks for the prompt posting.

JohnP

Hi DB;

Afraid there's nothing I can do. Our team have been going flat out for 8 hours now. We will make sure that the earnings for Thursday for everyone are not affected. Thank you for your patience.

Ed

Hi guys,

Just an update here. I can't believe this still hasn't been resolved. This is a massively concerted, aggressive and malicious attack. We deal with a DDOS pretty much every day, but even our sophisticated defenses are somewhat overwhelmed by this. We are working on a solution and hope to be up shortly.

I'll repeat for the nth time that your earnings won't be affected by this and you will be compensated fully once this is over.

I apologise again for other people's malevolence and hope we can get this sorted asap.

Ed

Last edited:
Oh bummer - got like 20 names that need parking now and have been parked since yesterday.

Why would someone do this? :confused:

Oh bummer - got like 20 names that need parking now and have been parked since yesterday.

Why would someone do this? :confused:

usually

1 - because they are scrotes
2 - blackmail , i think a few betting sites were hit in this manner. ie. lose £x rev a day or pay us £y
3 - someone has a vendetta against ed :)

Sorry mate,

This is really massive. I am amazed at the resources these people have access to. Normally, I'd say it's just people who are bored and have nothing better to do, but these people have some real muscle, so I'm not entirely sure about who's is behind it at the moment.
You should see a few pages filtering through shortly as we are changing them all to mobi templates for now. These templates only have 1 request and so load very quickly compared to the other ones. This will really reduce the load on our servers and allows us to clean up quickly. This change will be hardcoded into the script and not changed in the database, so once this is over, your original template choices will be displayed.
I suppose it's all academic to you as your earnings will be compensated anyway, but I thought I'd just keep you in the loop.

Ed

The attack is really big and is coming from Verizon IPs (a big US provider)

I wonder, if during DDoS defence, when majority of the requests are coming from a single provider, couldn't their IP range be just firewalled for some time.. Or revenue drop from usual Verizon clickers would be much worse than denied attackers..? :???:
anyway, wish a quicker recovery for ND.

Hi Vizzy,

I wish it was this simple. It's not all coming from Verizon and we have already blocked their IPs when we were in the early stages of this :(

Ed

Ddos

This is really massive. I am amazed at the resources these people have access to..............
Thanks for the update Ed.

I can only guess at what you're up against, but it sounds like
waves of zombied machines hitting your servers ??
Able to knock you off the air for 24 hrs + ?
If so, that really is some coordinated preplanned 'muscle' with
a purpose other than just simple mischief.

This client will stick with you Ed.
If the scumbags are reading.... Sorry it didn't work.

Last edited:
It must of been some massive attack to cause so much distruption like this, whats the losses so far ed?

I guess Tesco's would be happy if Co-op stores were closed for a day or so ...

Yup, I'm sure that while our tens of thousands of loyal clients are weeping into their keyboards for our plight, there are some people who aren't that dismayed by what's going on... I'm still astounded by the huge amount of muscle needed to pull this off against us. Tech claim they have found out what's going on, so...

As far as what the loses are...

Me - Hair
Tech - Sleep
Clients - Patience
ND money - $4.25.

Well, you don't really want me to let these bastards know what their malice has cost, do you? We're still alive. I just want to get these people and stick them in a prison on an island. We can organise stone-throwing bus trips on the weekends.

Ed

Cheers for the email telling us whats going on. It's only a small but thing, but helps! :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom