Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

need a idea, to help me create this backorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
right ok...
i've started to create a backordering system (d.w it wont beat all yours)
and since i havn't forked up £400 to nominet for membership and access to there dac service, i'm a little stuck, (i will purchase when i've finished creating the software,) doesn't make sence does it.

But i'm in need of something similar to the dac, which i can connect to like a whois service in telnet and i can just see if the domains will send and if it will give me back a result.

Beacuse atm. i have
1) been able to connect to dac.nic.uk 2043 (but access been disallowed, as im not a member)
2)been able to call data from a text file i will add the domain(s ) into,

and now i'm eager to see if the sending of the domains will work. so any suggestions of a basic whois server that allows telent access..

i've tried whois.nic.uk 2043 but doesn't seem to connect?

You need:

whois.nic.uk 43

But theres no point creating a system using that as the data returned is totally different to the DAC.

Also, I'm not being rude but if you dont even know the correct port for the standard whois then Im not holding out much hope for your system :)

Grant

lol, like i said i'm not tryin to compete with the big catchers, just trying to make something which works and i'm no expert on VB6 so its all learning for me.

and it doesn't work. This is my code for the winstock component

PHP:
Private Sub Form_Load()
telnet.RemoteHost = "whois.nic.uk"
telnet.RemotePort = 43
End Sub

and nothing happends, i have a connect button, which i click and on the DAC when i type in

Private Sub Form_Load()
telnet.RemoteHost = "dac.nic.uk"
telnet.RemotePort = 2043
End Sub

it works and shows this message

TelnetIP address (my ip address) not registered. Closing...

why is this?

The DAC/whois doesnt give a response on connection, it just waits for you to send the domain query (I think...)

The only time you get a response is when the dac tells you that your IP is not registered.

Chances are you have connected and you now need to send a domain to it.

Grant

ooo sorry grant mis read your post, it works :> i get a responce.

I was waiting for the whois.nic.uk 43 to send back saying something like connected etc.

Thanks alot, now all i have to do is build on this.....

You will find the public whois service from Nominet limits you to 1000 lookups per IP address per day, it also stops you submitting multiple simulataneous enquires, not sure on the limits, but using the Domain Research Tool you are luck to get acccurate results using 3 or more threads.

Best of luck anyway - you will probably do better than 123-Reg who offer a 'back-order' service but not much !.

Best Regards

JohnP

A telnet session to whois.nic.uk will auto disconnect itself after each query, whereas with the DAC you maintain a permanent connection (except for when the DAC keeps crashing).

yes i understand all this, i will be using the dac for my final version, just using this for testing.

You're doing it in VB6?!

Please use VB.NET at least!

You can do it in VB.NET using System.Net.Sockets etc.

It's non-trivial though if you want to do it reliably, as you have to deal with disconnects, time-outs, reconnecting etc.

If you're thinking of manually trying to register the names after they drop, then fuggeddaboutit :)

im not going to manually reg a domain when they drop, just taking it one step at a time, i will add the automatic registration part once i get this working.

VB.Net a few people have suggested that, will it be faster?

and how difficult would it be to convert vb6 into vb.net :)

There's a project conversion wizard in Visual Studio which will do the conversion for you.

useful to know, so i will finish completing the project in VB6 and then convet, i'm going well, i'm at the stage of extracting the first Y/N from the line

domains.co.uk,Y,N,N,1996-07-30,2006-07-30,1,NOMINET

and trying to loop the operation if its Y (as we will know its going to drop,) and send if its N to a message/text box ATM, (i will automatically send it to a register once its working).

does this sound right :)

Why not migrate to .Net now if that's your intention anyway. You'll get cleaner code if you build your new functionality in .Net rather than convert afterwards.

Assuming you're going to read your "domains.co.uk,Y,N,N,1996-07-30,2006-07-30,1,NOMINET" into a variable (DACLine), then this should do what you want (obviously you'll need to put in a delay at some point between DAC requests)

Dim DACLine AsString
Dim DACValues() AsString

Do

DACLine = MyReadDAC_function()
DACValues = DACLine.Split(",")

Loop while DACValues(2) = "Y"

Good luck with it ;)

You're up against a lot of competition who are many years ahead of you on the technology :p

haha yeh i am, but even if i can catch some domains and if it works i will be happy, and then maybe i could work on making it faster, if i become more advance.

There are many, many variables in this and there are probably 50 different angles of attack on trying to improve the speed.

Quite a few of them aren't even down to technology, they are down to how much you want to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts