Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Need advice for selling domain names

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by FantasticNames, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FantasticNames

FantasticNames Member

hi all, im new to domaining so need your experience

I have many .co.uk domain names and want to start a portfolio website. Just want to know all the detail

1)whois optout - I have selected whois optout for my domains. Can i keep these opted out if I want to sell domains?

2)I have selected sole trader as I dont have a company - is this the best option

3)Tax -I am self employed with my current business. I havent made any money selling domains yet but invested £200+. If I ever do make a sale do I include the profits in my annual tax return or do I have to set up a separte business for domains.

let me know anything else I need to know for setting up a UK portfolio domain sellling website

cheers & thanks to acorn domains for having such a great forum:)

2. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

In theory if you're planning on trading in domains you should be opted-in, you're not going to go to prison or anything for leaving them opted-out tho but Nominet may amend the whois if alerted to it.

That should be fine but also goes against the opt-out as that should only be used for personal registrations by individuals.

You probably need to discuss that one with an accountant, someone on here may be in similar position though and have more info.

Grant

3. FantasticNames

FantasticNames Member

Thanks Grant

Hey Grant , thanks for your personal advice & taking time out to break down each reply.

Best of luck with your ventures.

I would welcome more advice on anyone in the same situation

Thanks

4. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

There's no reason why you can't just include the domains as another "product" in your current accounts, however, I'd discuss with your accountant for the best tax advise.

5. wb

wb Well-Known Member

What's the current business you're self employed for? When you do your annual self assessment return, you have the option to add additional businesses. If your main line of work is very different then as far as I know you're not aloud to combine the two so would need to treat them separately.

6. AuthorityDomain United States

AuthorityDomain Active Member

You may need to register as a sole trader, then simply fill in self assessment forms at end of tax year.

Best to contact accountant for clarification though. There is a load of stuff on the hmrc website though. Depends how complicated your accounts will be.

7. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

If it is a "one-off", chuck it in with everything else. If you succeed, and it starts to look like a separate business, keep separate accounts for domaining.

You just fill in a separate sheet for each aspect of your enterprise and combine the results on the main tax return. The forms are designed to accommodate things like this ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.