Domain Manage

New Registrar Agreement - 6 March 2014

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by AssetDomains, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

B.1.15 essentially ok's "tasting" because they specifically allow changing of name servers.

4. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

What do people make of E.3.6 I'm not sure the big boys will be able to hover up all the dropping domains as I first thought. How does everyone else read it.

5. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

I would like to know what "explicit consent" will consist of

Also if it will be up to the registrar themselves to define what is or isn't explicit consent, or if nominet will have rules/procedures put in place that they have to follow?

I emailed nominet and asked about this a week or two ago

"If contested" sounds worrying..

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Since the consent MUST be within 30 days either side of expiry, it will be interesting if they put it in a link form

click this link if you no longer want this name * otherwise we will auto renew it.

then the * will have the conditions in, hiding it in plain view.

7. Murray United Kingdom

Murray Well-Known Member

From the email I got, it doesn't sound like they need any consent

Just seems like they need it not to be contested..

Whats the penalty if they get contested and have to give the domain back, just giving the domain back? ooo harsh :oops: lol

Hopefully nominet will clarify more.

8. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

My submission

I'm waiting on a reply from Nominet which has asked several questions including what "explicit consent" constitutes (and therefore what it does not). Unfortunately there isn't going to be any mechanism which Nominet oversees to ensure that explicit consent really has been obtained. A method that they might have considered would have been for Nominet to send a registrar branded email to the registrant containing a link for the registrant to give explicit consent for the registrar taking over the domain name. That consent would be flagged at the registry so Nominet would know it had been obtained. Unfortunately this goes against the idea of trusting accredited registrars and giving accredited registrars more freedoms.

I am glad to see that they have added a line which states that domain names must only be transferred into "your name" (i.e. the name of the registrar) and not the name of a third party. I hope that this excludes transfer to a subsidiary.

This seems a new addition. I'd like some clarification about why it was added.

Registrars will be able to change the name servers anytime from the date of expiry to the date of suspension (~30 days) to "taste" for traffic (i.e. value). Once the domain name is suspended it won't resolve. Is there anything that prevents the registrar from renewing the domain name at that point? If they do renew the domain name it won't "drop" 92 days after the original expiry date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.