Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New timepiece

Discussion in 'General Board' started by JackG, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackG

JackG Active Member

Hello,

I'm coming to the end of my PostGrad Economics course and thought I would treat myself for all the hard work I've put into both my undergraduate and postgraduate Business/Economics degrees.

Basically I had a £5,000 budget though savings and student jobs whilst at university (Yes, being a Receptionist pays off!). My initial thought was to purchase a nice generic product domain to get me started in affiliate marketing but it was too much of a risk too soon.

I went to go and see the old folks in Stratford-Upon-Avon and had a walk around the town. I ended up buying this little beauty for £5,000 (It was £5,250).

IWC Portuguese Chronograph

[​IMG]

Likey or no likey? :D

2. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

£5k on a good domain (with dev) would allow you to buy the watch after a while ...... you'd then have both

3. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

Should have bought an existing site earning £xxx per month.

Nice watch but saving money for several years to buy a watch doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Hope you don't lose/damage/scratch/break it.

4. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

5k for a watch :shock:

If someone asks you what time it is then you had better charge them £1

Honest opinion it doesn't look like 5ks worth but then I don't know about it's mechanics etc.

If it looks good on you and keeps the time perfectly then it's worth it :cool:

I would like a Raymond Weil for £950 but will have to make do with my £60 Bench watch for now.

Mobile phones may tell you the time but they will never get rid of watches, so much easier to look at the time than having to get your phone out especially in the rain.

5. JackG

JackG Active Member

@boxfish True, but I have not necessarily been saving up just for this timepiece. It's more of a gift to myself for all the blood, sweat and determination i've put into my degree's.

@doodlebug It's expensive yes but in my opinion it's a work of art. I guess it's like a person buying a sports car compared to a normal road car. The road car will do the job, the sports car will do the job + be a hell of a lot more beautiful.

6. Sam

Sam Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi ,

I am afraid i dont like it 5K on a watch what a waste of money i dont even bother with one to busy on my mobile's laptops which all have the time lol

Wizard

Likey or no likey? :D[/QUOTE]

7. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

Nice watch, but I've not regularly worn a watch since I was about 16, so I'd find plenty of other uses for £5k.

Each to their own.

8. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

I would take it back it's slow, you posted at 10:30am and your watch says 10:09am it's 21 minutes slow :mrgreen:

9. JackG

JackG Active Member

:mrgreen:!

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I'm with the "I don't really see the point" contingent. There's an awful lot you could have done to give you a solid start in the business world with 5K in your pocket. I know that seems boring now, but it's like compound interest: the earlier you start and the stronger you start, the more the payoff will be down the road.

11. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

Out of interest, why didn't you take a holiday to the US or Hong Kong and buy it there - the price including the cost of the trip would have been less than £5k?

Eg: it's £3,318 here in the US: http://www.watchclick.com/iwc-portu...=FroogleUK&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=ASPURL

I did that when I bought my Breitling Crosswind - ie took a holiday to Hong Kong and paid for it out of the £2k I saved on the watch...

Just a thought...

12. JackG

JackG Active Member

I agree in some aspects. I'm over the moon with my investment and I guess that's what counts the most. Do I regret buying this timepiece? Absolutely not. :)

13. mally United States

mally Well-Known Member

Nice watch, and to be honest, if you've worked hard with your studying, you've bought yourself something you've really liked which is a keep sake and will remind you of the hard work you've put in every time you check the time.. I'm all for that.

I worked abroad for a while with a few lads on a pretty shitty but well paid job, and we all bought the following to remember it, only 1K's worth but still love to wear it.

[​IMG]

14. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

Jack,

Congratulations. However I cant help but feel you need some kind of validation for the purchase and hence your posting on here. A nice watch, is well, a nice watch. But when all is said and done, its a hunk of metal and glass and could never compare to say six weeks in the far east [insert experience of choice].

Most millionaires I know and in fact [2 billionaires] among my personal network have watches worth no more than a few of hundred pounds. They never ever look cheap. Trouble with this [your expensive IWC] kind of watch is that you need the lifestyle to go with it and if you don't have that.....it all looks out of place.

I'm always looking at Rolex's and spend ages in the shop, but never buy one, because I always find a better use for they money.

Thats my 2 pence worth!

15. DomCollect Germany

DomCollect DomCollect Staff

Brilliant, must remember that when i buy my casio:)

16. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

Whats next? Now you have bought one, you need another. start saving.. I have a good collection, i used to wear different ones for business meetings. I think you paid slightly over odds for the IWC, however its a lovely watch. Well done, sounds like you deserve it. I agree that you could of developed a cracking site with earnings and had revenue pay for it. Ah well onward and upward, now for the Omega, then the Rolex :)

Good investments beat money sitting in the bank earning you nothing.

17. seanc United Kingdom

seanc Well-Known Member

bonkers..
    you need to do a lifetimes work to justify spending over five thousand pounds... on a watch....

18. I'll second that!

19. Frog

Frog Active Member

I think you have made a massive mistake with this line of thought. A good domain built out into a good site would be significantly less risk than that watch.

In the affiliate game it takes money to make money, you're now going to be fighting an uphill battle with no money. At least you'll always know exactly how long it'll be till the postman delivers your giro though :D

If you can buy the watch & invest online like you wanted to, I see absolutely nothing wrong with spending 5k on a watch. If you've used your savings to buy something shiny with no real practical use, it was stupid really (in my opinion of course!).

If it was me I'd feel pretty stupid next month when I wanted to buy links for the new site I'd built and couldn't afford them, while I was wearing 3 x newspapers links, 50 x blogrolls and 100 x permanent blog posts on my wrist :p

20. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I don't wear watches, but if I did, I wouldn't pay more than a couple of quid for one off a market, and for 5K, I would at least want a picture of Mickey Mouse on it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.