Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nokia 770 clearout at Expansys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I may get one of these - can you install standard applications on it Azooza or do you need custom apps designed for the device? Im thinking SSH and FTP apps?

Cheers, Grant

I see that for only another £3.00 you can have a 1G memory card with it as well - a very good deal - I placed my order today :-D

Regards,

Sneezy.

I think these run on Debian-based software so pretty much anything Debian SHOULD work on there given a bit of tuning.

I don't think I'll be buying one, it'd only have novelty value to me.

Hmm. I may get one of these - can you install standard applications on it Azooza or do you need custom apps designed for the device? Im thinking SSH and FTP apps?

Cheers, Grant
Grant, I was just about to buy one of those digital picture frames for my mother - £80 at firebox.com. Then I happened to see this during my daily browse at Expansys. I know it runs Debian Linux, and I know there's a bash shell for it, so it will run ssh and ftp. I think the journey starts here:

http://maemo.org/

Damn - missed the 1GB card deal :(

The 1GB card deal is there just says not in stock.

Can you play movies on this thing?
Sure you can - check out the link in my first post. I have movies like Goodfellas, Heat, Scarface etc. in AVI at about 600MB each and they play in DVD quality on my PC. Mac and Pocket PC. This thing supports AVI video plus loads more codecs.

Well I bought 1GB mini SD card yesterday from my local camera shop and that cost £20.00 and that was cheap!!

So it makes the unit £40.00 when bought with the card.. you could sell these on ebay for much more I am sure...

Well I bought 1GB mini SD card yesterday from my local camera shop and that cost £20.00 and that was cheap!!

You can pick up memory much cheaper than that these days online if you hunt about.

mymemory.co.uk are cheap but not always the chepeast and they have a
2GB 133X PRO Mini SD for £10.99 & 1GB from £6.99

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Mini-SD

Does anyone know if it comes with a decent case or do I need the £40 leather one?
It comes with a "pouch" according to Expansys. Take care on the memory card - I think it takes reduced size MMC and not mini SD - whether or not they are interchangeable, I dunno.

It was more the fact that it wasn't running windows, not sure whether I would need drivers etc. Supplied software is windows and mac although having said that it is mainly for monitoring speeds/download usuage etc. which I could live without.

The modem is not BT it is a T-Mobile one (has its own mobile number, a great deal !)

Not having any experience of debian, wondered if it would auto recognise the modem when plug into usb as MS would?

dave

It was more the fact that it wasn't running windows, not sure whether I would need drivers etc. Supplied software is windows and mac although having said that it is mainly for monitoring speeds/download usuage etc. which I could live without.

The modem is not BT it is a T-Mobile one (has its own mobile number, a great deal !)

Not having any experience of debian, wondered if it would auto recognise the modem when plug into usb as MS would?

dave
Dave, I'm sure you'd have hair-pulling driver issues. No, what I meant was, you could take the SIM out of the modem, put it in your 3G phone, and use the phone as a modem over BT with the 770. Now I'm guessing that the data SIM you have won't work in a phone... :-(

I believe the sim would work in a phone, however I don't have a 3G phone (I use an O2 XDA and if I used this I'd only get the same GPRS speed as the XDA is capable of, however I wouldn't be limited to the O2's 1MEG limit but the T-Mobiles 3 GIG albeit at GPRS speed).

It would be nice if the T Mobile modem would just plug and play as there are places when a laptop isn't always convenient and the Nokia 770 looks ideal at that price.

I might have a chat with my local T Mobile store, they were actually VERY helpful when I bought the modem which is a refreshing change in this day and age.

PS Your post makes more sense now I've just realised that BT is not British Telecom :) !!!

Last edited:
Always a sucker for a new toy, so I ordered one too.

Seems a lot easier than having to power up the laptop to check my emails and at £80 delivered seems a bit of a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom