Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet and Broadway Partners tackle digital divide in remote areas with TV white space

My point stands - in my opinion and for the good of the namespace, Nominet's executive need a more powerful check and balance than is currently in place.

They used to have one, in the form of the PAB. But they disbanded that shortly before the .uk fiasco started. Correlation is not causality, but...

There's a 4 year gap between the end of the PAB and the start of the Stakeholder Committee. The .uk fiasco was railroaded through during that time.

There's a 4 year gap between the end of the PAB and the start of the Stakeholder Committee. The .uk fiasco was railroaded through during that time.

I definitely met Dave Thomas to discuss .uk in late December 2012, after @ANY-Web introduced us both by email, and the email I have mentioned he was on the stakeholder committee at the time. It was the first time I became aware of this particular committee so you may not have become aware of it until later than this.

The .uk consultation wasn't anywhere near finalised by then.

[Updated with clarification]

Last edited:
Nominet have whitewashed the records before 2015 (I'm sure you could get copies of any applicable documents, though, David) just as they wiped out all mention of the PAB from the Nominet site mere weeks before the V1 .uk consultation (also wiping out the unanimous opposition to the 2004 proposal that would have brought in .uk)

From memory, there wasn't anything formally in place to oppose .uk at the crucial point - goodness knows, there were enough people casting around trying to find some way, any way, to block it!

Nominet now has the Stakeholder Committee.

Nominet is supposed to be a membership organisation.

How do the stakeholder committee members get allocated/elected? How can/does the membership exercise influence?

Nominet is supposed to be a membership organisation.

How do the stakeholder committee members get allocated/elected? How can/does the membership exercise influence?

I assume they get approached and asked if they would like to be on the committee, in a similar way to how the DRS Independent Experts are appointed. I'll be happy to ask for clarification later on though. :)

Do you wish to elect them? If members did so the whole thing might end up like the PAB ended up. Are you up to speed on that? Many of those who are on the current stakeholder committee might not put themselves up for an election if there was one, as it is far too much hassle for no renuneration for a start in my personal opinion.

I simply wish for a membership organisation to be influenced more strongly by the wider membership.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that I have the answers as to how.

I simply wish for a membership organisation to be influenced more strongly by the wider membership.

By "the wider membership" do you specifically mean paid up Nominet members only or something even broader?

We as Nominet members have the ability to get together and influence the company by way of popular consensus and by calling an EGM if we wish. What further influence do you realistically expect to have?

By "the wider membership" do you specifically mean paid up Nominet members only or something even broader?

Nominet members

We as Nominet members have the ability to get together and influence the company by way of popular consensus and by calling an EGM if we wish. What further influence do you realistically expect to have?

Bull. Even if coordination outside of the Nominet framework were possible, the concept of membership should be baked into everything Nominet do.

If you're not a commercially led registrar, you're a nuisance.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom