Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet August registration figures show .uk creeping closer to 400,000 total regs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Nominet have released the figures for domain registrations in August 2015 in the last couple of days.
http://www.nominet.uk/news/reports-statistics/2015-uk-register-statistics

Headline numbers:
15,824 .uk registrations in August 2015
398,718 .uk registrations overall

Also interesting to see that .uk is growing at pretty much the same pace as .co.uk is shrinking (though the numbers in question are both small, so this may be a coincidence)

If you project the numbers from the last few months (excluding the blip from the .uk campaign in June/July) very roughly forwards, it looks like there will be between 9,200,000-9,500,000 .co.uk/.org.uk/other 2nd level domains and 1,200,000-1,600,000 .uk domains registered in June 2019 when the 5 year lock-in period ends, and the total number of domains in the UK namespace will be around where it is now.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Edwin. The real question is of course how many of the .uk domains have been registered by the respective .co.uk owners and are just parked or forward to the .co.uk? It would also be interesting to know how many of the .uk registrations actually resolve to a proper dedicated website, and how many sites (like domainlore) are based on .uk with the .co.uk forwarding to it. (Just rhetorical - not expecting anyone to know!)

I'd suspect that most (if not all) of the .uk's are paired with the .co.uk.

Until the public really understand the difference, I'd suggest it's too risky to reg the .uk and leave the .co.uk available for a competitor to pick up.

I suspect most are caught by members here and not necessarily paired with the co.uk as we are forced into going after both these days but often don't get the pair :)

I suspect most are caught by members here and not necessarily paired with the co.uk as we are forced into going after both these days but often don't get the pair :)

I was thinking of the general public registering, but I guess there may well be a good few split pairs in the hands of domainers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom