Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet email about .uk rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said in another thread, that there was an ad a few weeks back on 4 OD. It was a proper nominet one.

I still can't find it on Youtube, or any other site. It was some animation going on about how being shorter is better, and on the screen it had things like 'Compact Disc' merging to just be CD and other things like that, then .co.uk becoming just .uk

TBH, IMO, bit shit like, which may be why I can't now find it anywhere.

http://youtu.be/1-gmlN49RR4

Funny how the ad says "we'll let you in on a secret..." Well that's about the size of it because Nominet did precious little to consult with the public prior to launch and since launch there has been less fanfare than many of the crappy shoestring-budget new tlds that have launched. An utter shambles considering .uk is being presented as the new/ future official UK domain name. And yet they have £millions of members' reg fees (that ordinarily should go towards reducing the reg and transfer costs but don't) which they could have spent on promoting .uk but they just give it away instead.

And what a terrible advert for that matter. For nearly the whole advert you have no idea what is being advertised. If you hadn't seen the end you would have missed the message completely. Who's going to sit there glued to the screen for over a minute listening to some boring monologue about how acronyms can be used to replace a long phrase? Well done, next week we're going to work on colours. .uk is not an acronym of .co.uk anyway so the argument feels not quite right.

And to top it off when at the end the narrator says 'say hi to .uk the new shorter sharper domain' we get a message flashing up on the screen saying "Get your .uk domain today with names.CO.UK"!!! Instills loads of confidence in .uk if the ad promoter isn't even using it in their own ad!

I'm surprised we haven't seen any big new launches using .uk just for the novelty value - having a point of difference is usually a good thing in marketing.
If I was doing a big budget campaign I'd be very tempted.

Seems like everyone is waiting for someone else to jump in first so we can see whether they sink or swim...

I'm surprised we haven't seen any big new launches using .uk just for the novelty value - having a point of difference is usually a good thing in marketing.
If I was doing a big budget campaign I'd be very tempted.

Seems like everyone is waiting for someone else to jump in first so we can see whether they sink or swim...

I'm waiting for the Japanese CEO of Rakuten to tweet me back to explain why they didn't with their recent launch of rakuten.co.uk. Hopefully he will be mortified and full of apologies.

I'm waiting for the Japanese CEO of Rakuten to tweet me back to explain why they didn't with their recent launch of rakuten.co.uk. Hopefully he will be mortified and full of apologies.

Is that an affiliate shopping portal? I don't get it

Is that an affiliate shopping portal? I don't get it

It's the company that bought Play.com two years ago. Play.com is still running but will be wound down by early 2015 and rakuten.co.uk will be the new site, matching the others with the same name around the world. I believe it's a marketplace. Forgotten though.

I imagine the play.com domain name will be repurposed into something else. Rakuten purchased Wuaki, a video streaming service, a while back. Perhaps they'll rebrand that. I've no idea though. :)

Interesting. So the model is really just a central portal marketing on behalf of all these third parties. Couldn't see the USP but I've just checked a few products and a lot of their 'stores' are undercutting Amazon.

Amazon marketplace has got away with high charges for a while, so I can see the attraction for retailers if they're undercutting.

The margins must be razor thin though, and they'll have to have deep pockets if they're going to build a brand that can compete with the almighty A

play.com used to be like amazon, without a third parties. The third parties are a later addition but it used be very much a large amazon type store.

Unfortunately these marketplace websites are killing ecommerce and retail in general. They are unregulated, don't require much seller information, and quite often prices are so low because the sellers are not paying the appropriate level of tax/vat. It is the same story with ebay, great for consumers (apart from when it comes to warranty claims), but terrible for the sector.

I know of a seller in my industry that uses (used now thankfully) eBay, Amazon and Play to sell goods, buying them from the distributors through the company, claiming the vat back from the tax man, then selling them privately for a price between the excluding and inclusive vat price; finally writing off the company and moving on. Happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom