Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet promotions

Reaction score
Without discussing the specifics of any particular Nominet promotion (which is against their rules) I wanted to alert you to a general issue: their system records the "normal" price for the registration or renewal you're attempting, not the promotional price if any.

You will only get charged the "true" promotional price when you receive the invoice.

Let's pretend you have signed up for a fictional deal that allows for £1+VAT renewals.
  • If you renew 100 domains under that promotion, you'll owe Nominet £120 at the next billing cycle.
  • But those 100 domains will be recorded as £450 on the system until then.
  • So the amount you've spent since the last invoice will go up by £450, and your credit limit will go down by £450.
What this means is that you may need to raise your credit limit temporarily when a promotion rolls around. Otherwise you won't be able to spend the amounts you thought you were going to spend on it.

It also means that you have to keep a careful tally somewhere of exactly how many transations you've put through at the promotional price, because you can't find out via the Nominet back-end. You'll only find out when you get the invoice next time.

Hope this helps someone.

If that's the case, and I assume it is, then I'm going to have to transfer fictional 'x' amount extra credit for a month, which is frankly a nuisance. I can do it, but what possible reason can there be for the system not to deduct the exact amount of credit you have actually spent in line with any such promotion?

This sort of thing makes no sense to me.

Also, as a relatively new Nominet member, can someone give me an idea of when the billing cycles occur. Is it once a month at the end of a month, or a month after the transaction date, or what?

November's registrations and renewals are billed on 7th of December with payment due within 30 days.

November's registrations and renewals are billed on 7th of December with payment due within 30 days.

Okay, so say I am invoiced for £4000 worth of renewals in November at the standard rate per domain, that means I need £4000 of credit on my Nominet account. No problem.

But I receive my invoice on December 7th. Is my "remaining credit" adjusted on that day from £0 to (say, fictionally) £2000? Or do I have to wait until 6th January for my "remaining credit" to be adjusted from 0 to £2000? On what date is my available credit adjusted?

I was wondering why I kept being prompted to top up my account, looks I'll have a credit balance when things get invoiced.

Okay, so say I am invoiced for £4000 worth of renewals in November at the standard rate per domain, that means I need £4000 of credit on my Nominet account. No problem.

But I receive my invoice on December 7th. Is my "remaining credit" adjusted on that day from £0 to (say, fictionally) £2000? Or do I have to wait until 6th January for my "remaining credit" to be adjusted from 0 to £2000? On what date is my available credit adjusted?

Date of invoice.

Realised this when my totals were not adding up, got in touch with Nominet and they told me exactly the same. The invoice will be corrected to show the promotional price and they were "more than happy" to increase my credit limit if needed. I kindly declined of course.

Realised this when my totals were not adding up, got in touch with Nominet and they told me exactly the same. The invoice will be corrected to show the promotional price and they were "more than happy" to increase my credit limit if needed. I kindly declined of course.

Why did you decline the increased credit limit? Far better to accept than adding funds to your account that could be better employed elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam
Im not a fan of credit limits in the first place, I don't want to have a credit limit in place that's too high for me and possibly over extend.

Im not a fan of credit limits in the first place, I don't want to have a credit limit in place that's too high for me and possibly over extend.

Credit limit increases can be temporary. Just ask for it to be lowered again after the promotion.

I don't do enough volume to warrant an increase right now. If it was something I needed, I'd have it. But I don't :)

I don't do enough volume to warrant an increase right now. If it was something I needed, I'd have it. But I don't :)

No problem. You know what's best for you. Was just trying to help you or anyone else who didn't realise you could request a temporary credit limit increase.

What was remarkable was they were adamant (after I contacted several people there) that they couldn't actually tell me how many domains I had registered/renewed at what real price since my last invoice. So I am left staring at a total that's higher than I will have to pay, but I don't know how much higher. (Before you wonder, I put through a huge number of transactions - if it was a handful I would have my own notes to fall back on, but as it is I did it all through their online interface in batches of 200 names at a time).

It's also interesting that nobody was willing to admit it was either a problem, or a glitch. Merely that it was "how the invoicing system works". Seems that was the official line to take. Everyone was their usual polite selves, but the advice on this occasion was utterly useless because "computer says no".

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom