Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet Trust and Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Jamie101, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie101 Ireland

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

Just came across this link about how the Nominet Trust has chosen bitcoin as one of their top 100 projects.

I was going to look up a bit about the Nominet Trust but thought I'd probably get more "accurate" answers here.

I get the feeling that this is just to make Nominet look good is it? Why do they feel the need to put money in to projects and so on?

I don't really understand how they can help bitcoin unless they buy loads of bitcoins, so is this what they'll do? If so, what happens to the profits (assuming they go up in value)?

2. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

At least it won't be a speculative investment that'll lose them millions!

3. Jamie101 Ireland

But do they realise that bitcoin isn't a company or whatever?

Why are they so secretive? And it's worth pointing out that if they are purchasing large amounts of bitcoins an employee could easily take some for themselves without much notice I'd say.

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Nominet Trust haven't invested in these companies, nor have they stated they're going to. It's a glorified directory, another "learning" resource like KnowTheNet but on a different topic...

5. Jamie101 Ireland

Oh okay. I always got the feeling that the Nominet Trust gave out money to whoever they wanted to.

Learn something new every day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

6. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

They have given out cash grants though, surely its a bit more than a glorified directory?

http://www.nominettrust.org.uk/what-we-support/projects/past/all

You can click any link on that and see how much they have been funded, and when.

7. Jamie101 Ireland

And this is what's wrong with Nominet surely? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but:

Nominet make money from people like you and me registering and renewing domains etc.

They make plenty of money but they are a not-for-profit organisation. In short, this means they are trying to achieve goals rather than make profit.

So shouldn't they be proud of telling us what they are spending their money on since these should be their goals? I just don't get it.

8. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I don't really care either way. I'm just pointing out that they do actually hand money out.

It does seem like forced charity donations though. At least when someone shakes a charity box at you in a high street you can tell them to P**s off... with Nominet you get no choice since its built into the fees you're paying.

9. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

Thats a good point actually, is there anyway we can opt out of that scheme.

10. Sound United Kingdom

Sound Well-Known Member

No

11. Jamie101 Ireland

That's what I'm talking about. And imagine if they bring out .uk soon, deciding to charge a higher renewal fee for domains.

It really surprises me how little people seem to care about where their money is going to be honest. Ever just get a feeling that something is going on?

12. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

From a personal point of view, its because I own so few domain names, and domain renewal costs are next to nothing. I don't agree that Nominet should be forcing me to donate money to causes I don't want to... but its so little money that its not worth stressing over or trying to change.

13. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

This thread is mixing apples and oranges.

Nominet Trust have funded a lot of projects.

Nominet Trust have also released the "Nominet Trust 100" which is "a list celebrating people and organisations that are using digital technology to change the world." That's all it is: a list. Nothing comes with it except bragging rights for the people and companies on the list, if they feel it's somehow significant enough to mention as an accolade.

However, Nominet Trust have not (necessarily) funded companies on the Nominet Trust 100 list (I've not checked each one to see if NT has given any of them funding)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.