Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone any idea why Nominet insist on paper transfers and dont use same system as Verisign where you can do everything online ?

DG

I got an email from them today in reply and what they said was that they are working on upgrading the software that they use to register domains and thereafter will be working on online system. I shall believe it when I see it though.

DG

I'm having to pay to transfer a name from myself to myself.... work that out!

I *really* oppose the transfer fee/s. The pro-fee crowd say "well it's done on a cost recovery basis..."

But I argue that it should be absorbed within the registration fees. Sure, some domains get transferred and Nominet has to do some admin. But there are many more domains that don't get transferred. That's life.

Really annoys me... :mad:

Last edited:
I tend to believe that there is more to Nominet's reluctance to change from paper to online system .I would/could believe that it is bowing to pressure of inland revenue or government bodies perhaps so as they can keep a tighter rein on who actually does own a .co.uk domain name. Whereas with .com you can change the details at will with .co.uk you could not register as "fred bloggs" and then change that to another name easily.

DG

If you don't like the UK system we can always move to the system that they use in the US for com and net domains where any Tom Dick or Harry can open an account with a registrar, sell a few domains to unsuspecting buyers and then at any point in the future change the ownership/admin/billing details back to themselves via the registrars wholesale control panel.

I don't like the transfer fees or the paper that we have in the UK but lets make sure we've got a system that protects the registrant before we dump the current system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom