Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Notable .UK websites

Ermmm, notable ones, I really can't think of any, worrying isn't it!

Didn't Heart moved because of penalty, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

o2, seem to be using o2.uk on mobile devices. I see the odd small bussiness using them,, but then I see lots of .US and .CO domains being used on the high street too.

Domainlore.uk is a .uk! Also, the Police and various government depts have used it since before it was available for public registration; NHS.uk and MOD.uk for example.

Domainlore.uk is a .uk!
Hardly a notable domain, suspect 99% of users are in the domain industry.
Also, the Police and various government depts have used it since before it was available for public registration; NHS.uk and MOD.uk for example.
A number of the original .uk top levels were already in use outside of Nominet control (as part of the original .uk delegations), so again not really what the thread is asking.

I guess from the lack of posts, nobody's really found any notable use of a .uk domain suggesting what we all predicted before the changes. They are just another domain to add to the list to buy when looking at brand protection.

Only one of the busiest sites on the web (as per Alexa data) is using their .uk for their primary site (it's a web hosting and domain registration firm) even though 56% of the Alexa Top 20,000 sites have registered the .uk to match their .co.uk!

That's 114 out of the 204 sites which feature within the 20,000 top sites in the world which have taken up the .uk. There's only been one new .uk registration amongst those 204 sites in the last 4 months, so the on-going takeup is glacial.

Here's what those 114 sites are doing with their .uk domains:
  • blank page: 4 (3.5%)
  • does not resolve: 44 (38.6%)
  • official site: 1 (0.9%)
  • separate .uk site: 4 (3.5%)
  • redirects to .com: 4 (3.5%)
  • redirects to .co.uk: 32 (28.1%)
  • registrar holding page: 25 (21.9%)

Thought I'd bump this thread. Any new additions.

business.hsbc.uk

Maybe a cheat as they've used it for a subdomain.

total.uk - I've regularly seen this in their advertising

maybe the promotion of nominet next 2 month will motivate a few more to take the .uk for free, there will be for sure some that move. Instead of moving my hosting.co.uk to .uk I build an additionally site.

last month I was told by 2 nominet Representatives (channel account manager) that in July and August .co.uk holders can register their .uk for free if they apply for 2 years. It was on a little Domain Conference in Germany.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts