Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

One for the SEO bods

dee

Reaction score
I see a lot of demand on here for good clean SEO domains.

I can see the advantages of having good link juice passed from relevant links from a clean history site in the same niche, but I just wondered is it as simple as a 301 going on or is it more complicated than that?

Ta

Technically a good understanding of redirects. SEO in general, backlink profiles, knowing what the effects of what you are doing and how to track it effectively within your strategy is key. Redirecting can have just as much of a negative effect as it can positive but at the same time, so can throwing up a site on an authority expired domain and instantly linking out from it.......your strategy has to back up what you are doing.

I think putting new content on the old domain and then linking to the other site/inner pages is probably a safer option than 301'ing the whole domain... but I have limited SEO knowledge, so someone else may be able to advise better!

Ta. But surely original pages that might have had some authority are gone (unless there's some scraping of old sites from wayback going on ....this also has copyright issues of course)

Technically a good understanding of redirects. SEO in general, backlink profiles, knowing what the effects of what you are doing and how to track it effectively within your strategy is key. Redirecting can have just as much of a negative effect as it can positive but at the same time so can throwing up a site on an authority expired domain and instantly linking out from it.......your strategy has to back up what you are doing.

Yep makes sense. Probably one of those things that's also a bit of a black art so the guys who are good don't want to share the magic obviously as its highly competetive

301s happen for perfectly valid reasons every day when companies take over a competitor for example. If your 301 looks like this then there shouldn't be an issue.

Ta. But surely original pages that might have had some authority are gone (unless there's some scraping of old sites from wayback going on ....this also has copyright issues of course)

You'll be using the same URL so the authority should still be there and you just rewrite the content to make it even better than the original.

You'll be using the same URL so the authority should still be there and you just rewrite the content to make it even better than the original.

Thanks. That's the kinda stuff I was wondering. So I guess that involves very specific redirects.

Also, plenty of site owners redirect from http to https - after a potential short term blip, rankings should be back to the norm or even improved. If you believe google that is!

As long as the links are there, they give "authority"

I've put basic content on sites that had good links and they just went straight back to ranking, content didn't seem to matter particularly, just use the keyword(s) in the titles and have content in line with the original niche

You want to recreate the urls the links were going to or redirect them, depending

Dropped SEO domains aren't always about ranking other sites, sometimes they can stand alone and make good money (depending on traffic and niche etc)

I know there are some members here who have pretty large networks of sites, doubt they will comment though

Reactions: dee
301 redirects and whether they work isnt in debate really, they pass Juice.....end of. What was highlighted in the OP was the technical aspects of using expired SEO domains and simply redirecting them straight after re-registration ( expired and renewed to owner/tag ) . There was a really good case study a couple of years ago showing the effects of expired domains, based on time scale after initial re-registration etc before they were used.

Just spent the last 20 mins trying to find it and couldnt, but stumbled across this on my search, I've seen similar results over the years ( especially last couple ) where letting picked up domains age for time before linking out, or redirecting has much better results.

http://diggitymarketing.com/expired-domain-test/

Pretty comprehensive but not sure on how reputable the source is.

As long as the links are there, they give "authority"

Aaaah.... Of course. Lightbulb moment ! They only go one direction. I guess I actually wondered what happened if the receiving end changed. So if you can make the recieving end look the same or better then you're in with a good chance.

Cheers all. Thats helped a lot.

EDIT... for all those facepalming.... simplistic overview.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom