Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

oops Got me a solicitors letter

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by droid, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Anyone can threaten legal action for anything. Doesn't mean they have a case.

If I was them and I had no reply, I'd threaten you with this sort of thing. That's just part of the game :)

I am no lawyer (I'm a homicide detective), but I'd think long and hard about whether you really want to keep the domain name and whether you can be bothered to fight for it.

If you do/can then write back and ask them to lay out their case. They have a duty to put their case to you in full before taking you to court willy nilly. They should tell you what evidence they have of passing off.

But maybe get a bit of legal advice.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

Thanks bb99,

After careful consideration I have decided, rather than transfer the name to the company, to surrender the name to Nominet. I have now put this in writing to the company and the solicitor.

Due to the tactics used I just hope someone registers the name before they do, especially as the .com version is quite a big concern.

Gary

3. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

PM the name pls :)

4. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing. You have no obligation to them, especially as they weren't even prepared to pay your out of pocket expenses! You have no DRS ruling against you, and you have no court ruling either.

If the company concerned, or its lawyer, had even the most basic level of business acumen, they would realise from your letter that they could see it go to someone else at the drop, and stump up some money to cover your costs, an opportunity which you afforded them but they never took you up on.

It's their loss in the long run maybe!

5. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Please PM the domain name - out of interest only though, I wouldn't want it!

6. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

What gives me some satisfaction is that I am a regular customer of the said company and with my business and recommendations to my customers they must be getting several thousands of pounds worth of business via me each year.

Not no more they aint :D

Gary

7. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

Just an update.

Domain surrendered, on checking this morning name is now regged by said company.

Hats off to them if they did this without any help.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  8. rob

rob Founding Member

Which company was it? If you cant say, feel free to use rhyming slang terms ;)

9. droid United Kingdom

droid Active Member

Hi Rob, PM sent

Decided not to put the rhyming slang I first though of ;) (might get sued)

In fact I am nervous about mentioning anything now, especially as in this case parties involved are poss members, know members here or are just on the ball.

Gary

10. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

The name appears to have been registered by the new owners now. :(

Damn, I was hoping to snap that up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.