Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Open #MeToo Letter to Nominet

Reaction score
I'm starting to hear from other Nominet members regarding the .uk release process who:

(1) Missed the signup by the 3rd May and are now not allowed to take part (denied access)
(2) Did signup by the 3rd May but were not made aware of the credit limits (tiered access)

On top of that I have also heard from registrants who:

(3) Have no way to backorder .uk rights via registrars (no public access)

Therefore we are thinking of writing an Open Letter to Nominet and DCMS this week.
If you would like to sign on to the letter please say #MeToo below.

UPDATE 30/05/19: The letter is now online here: http://www.3million.uk/open-letter/

Last edited:
Yep.

A Google doc might be a good route to go.

#metoo

Since they launched .UK - personally I've never been a fan - with the dominance of .CO.UK it was unnecessary, has lead to confusion with UK internet users and has doubled costs for everybody if you care about your domain/brand.

Always consoled myself with at least there will be a fair opportunity after the 5 years but it seems not as it stands.

Disappointed with Nominet on this!

I'm in a slightly different position: am registered to take part, but am still seeking the technical solution to do so.

From start to finish, I don't think .uk could have been handled any worse than it has been

diablo said:
I'm in a slightly different position: am registered to take part, but am still seeking the technical solution to do so.

@diablo Same here, I normally use a hosted catching system or Web Domain Manager – neither of which are suitable for .uk release.

Any members interested in providing a technical solution to test out before the deadline next month? I'm interested in registering 'non-premium' .uk domains and happy to pay per registration – I'm sure many others are in the same situation too (i.e. with their own quota available but no technical solution) so there is potentially a nice profit to be made. ;)

I'm sorted but the whole decision by Nominet is disappointing. They should at the very least have offered a WDM solution for those signed up.

I too would be interested in a technical solution. Please pm if there are opportunities. Thanks

#Me Too

#MeToo

I could probably knock something up to a particular spec - if anyone wants to give me a nudge, explain their spec and price the want to pay for the app. I don't plan to host any platform myself - I'm a linux c coder for hire I guess..

We will add lack of technical access to the letter.

I see Godaddy has now launched .uk pre-orders:

https://uk.godaddy.com/tlds/uk-domain

However I would suggest reading the small print:

Godaddy (as a group of registrars) will have the most requests per minute and will now auction off .uk with more than one pre-order!

We will add lack of technical access to the letter.

I see Godaddy has now launched .uk pre-orders:

https://uk.godaddy.com/tlds/uk-domain

However I would suggest reading the small print:

Godaddy (as a group of registrars) will have the most requests per minute and will now auction off .uk with more than one pre-order!

You have to basically pay the 10 bucks reg fee upfront for any you list, so it gets expensive quickly. They then refund for any they dont get. THEN as you say it'll likely go to auction anyway.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom