Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

PCI DSS compliant hosting ?

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by dragon, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Does Stripe not offer the option of 3D Secure? Would rule out a lot of merchants like myself if not.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. BeachLife United Kingdom

BeachLife Active Member

No it doesn't.

Do you take high value transactions, or are you in a high risk business?

4. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Stripe does look super slick, no denying that. Will shoot them an email and see if they can offer better rates!

braintreepayments.com - does look good and enticing with the no fee for first 30k but after that it doesn't seem such great rates either.
    2.4% + £.20 per transaction, £20 per chargeback
    Compared to sage: 1.9% Credit Cards, 0.59% Debit Cards.

5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Not especially high risk, but chargebacks can occur from any sector of business when selling physical products. Personally I wouldn't use a payment system that doesn't at least offer the additional coverage of 3D Secure, even if protection is fairly limited depending on all conditions being met.

6. BeachLife United Kingdom

BeachLife Active Member

Agreed, chargebacks occur. Have you split tested without 3D Secure to see the effect on conversion, if any? I've used 3D secure before when it made little or no difference to conversion. On another site it hammered the conversion rate, and we were far better off accepting the occasional chargeback. It all depends upon the cost to you of a chargeback of course.

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Some of the items are expensive, so can't take that risk, but initial conversation dropped when 3D secure was introduced, but these days, it doesn't make much difference, though I would admit that I'm not a fan of it still, and I expect better options are no doubt available. What I do allow on my system is a rulebase that allows a failed 3D secure check providing certain other details match, but then I do further manual security checks just to be sure. I deal a lot with foreign cards from Europe, and their systems vary, so there has to be an element of flexibility. If I'm in doubt, there is an excellent way of verifying the payment with the customer that doesn't include proof of address etc - most customers are comfortable with it, only a few get cagey and cancel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.