Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Please appraise and review my website.

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by Excitemental, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excitemental United Kingdom

Excitemental Active Member

Hi,

I run a little domain blog which focuses on brandable domains, available to register domains and expiring auctions etc..

check it out and let me know what you think?

We get quite a bit of traffic now from search engines and social media.

www.excitemental.com

2. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Sad to say just looks like millions of other WP sites... Trouble with a site dedicated to brands is after all the bumf and salesspeak it needs good names and to an extent lots of choice if you don’t have that then peeps are unlikely to return and sending them off to other sites e.g. “go gaggy “etc who may well offer what you don’t doesn’t exactly make much business sense? Selling a brand is hard to start registering what others have dropped I’d say doubly so? If you must try and research them as much as possible :)

3. Excitemental United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments, my appreciated :)
    the blog is mainly about listing available to register brandable domain names. I compile lists that are available to register daily and there is always a choice of between 20 - 30 names a day. You can also look at previous lists that have been published. Over 200 domain names have been registered from the lists over the last month or so, some are now fully developed sites and we get over a hundred visitors a day now.
    It is not a business just a bit of fun really as it interests me :)

4. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Although lots of names besides potential “brand” are dropped then re-registered 200 brands a mth is interesting given the limited number on the site? But I've found there’s a world of difference between speculative reg fee registrations of drops to actually selling a name as a “brand” I see pick of the week owned by you $12.999 have you managed to achieve sales of that value with any “Brands” ?

As you asked value wise site as it stands do you actually make any revenue ? it seems its main purpose is to sell your own”Brands”? Not really something anyone would find commercially attractive as there are others more established places to sell them on and if there quality all you need is a holding page?
    But wish you luck anyhow.:)

5. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Have you tried marketing your website on entrepreneur forums and at entrepreneur conferences?

Rgds

6. Excitemental United Kingdom

I have been marketing the site in various start-up and entrepreneur sites, globally.

Traffic is building every day which is great alexa ranking under 400k now :)

I need to fine tune the website a bit as well, a couple of the pages need redesigning i think.

7. Excitemental United Kingdom

I have sold several brandable domain names with inquiries from the site and from such sites as namerific. I haven't had any massive sales in the £xx,xxx region yet but those brandable names, such as Buildie, you have to sit on for a while for the perfect company to come along. i am very proactive with advertising the site and also my domain names.

The site is mainly a resource for lean start-ups to find available names, if they happen to see one of my for sale domain names listed there and buy it then its a bonus for me :)

8. Grant

Grant Active Member

I've browsed it as it was what I was after.

1.I agree with the WP comment. There are free (or extremely cheap themes) that could clean up your site nicely. Have a look around Monster Templates.

2.In terms of creating a blog that could drive some traffic to your other business, I think you are on the right links.

3.You might find putting the names in Alphabetical order makes it easier on the eye. If others are like me, they will be trying to skim read (it's a 2 second job in Excel!) and I think that would help.

3.On the brandable front, it's a case of catching someone's eye and their budget. For instance, my budget was xxx (low). I then increased it to higher xxx for the simple reason I wasn't getting offered anything of substance. Even then, the ones I was being offered were lower quality than what I had dreamt up (in my mind) and were FTRS.

Of course, some people have not got the time and patience to be sitting there thinking of brandables for their new business venture.

4.If it was me I'd reduce the waffle at the start of each post, put the referral links in (and less of them...just link to godaddy.com and be done with it) and then put the names into a two column table so the whole post fits in below the fold.

Hope that helps.

9. Excitemental United Kingdom

Thanks i really appreciate your feedback.

I think you are right with the alphabetical order of the names listed so will change that, and the referral links to GoDaddy.

I will have a look for another theme that could work better.

Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grant

Grant Active Member

Aim for a theme with a wider column for posts and you'll fit more text above the fold.

If your going to stick with that title structure, you might as well use the remove-date plugin on WordPress as well as they are just adding to the clutter - detracts the user from the post.

I'd be careful linking out to your other domain so much. You're using heavy anchors in every post and this will probably be flagged, not least if you have them on the same hosting account...you're domain is only PR0, so (assumption here) probably not giving you much weight in rankings and with a bit of a risk.

I'd switch to just linking on the right hand bar where you're featured domains are.

11. Excitemental United Kingdom

Thanks again for the advice, im not sure what you mean by

''I'd be careful linking out to your other domain so much. You're using heavy anchors in every post and this will probably be flagged, not least if you have them on the same hosting account...you're domain is only PR0, so (assumption here) probably not giving you much weight in rankings and with a bit of a risk.''

All the domain names that are on there link to their offer pages on Sedo.com, are you saying it is best not to link them out? If so i could just take the hyper links out and advise them to contact me for directly.. would that work better?

The website seems to have a good Alexa ranking and is starting to show on top of google for some search terms which is good but i don't want to endanger that by linking to much so any advice would be great.

Also how would i remove the date on the posts? (im running on wordpress.com)

12. Grant

Grant Active Member

Sorry, scrap my links thing. For some reason I had it in my head you had a second site you were promoting using that blog!!!

ALEXA ranking does mean very little as it's just another tool to estimate. As an example, it says my site receives 33% of it's visits from India (figure is actually below 10%) and US is 10% (It's actually over 30%) which on 15,000 unique visitors a month is quite a way off.

If you are wanting to get more search traffic, think about targeting some long tails (in a natural way i.e. without keyword stuffing) in your titles and posts. It might only grab you an extra visit per day, per post, but that can soon compound, especially as you're rankings overall increase :) I forgot to mention...you might hit a great long tail, rank well and be getting loads of traffic, worth a few minutes research.

Login to WP > Plug-ins > Add New > Search "WP Date Remover"

13. Excitemental United Kingdom

thank you so much for all your help. it is really appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.