Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Poker.org - $1m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kieron, if you're really making 5 or 6 figures in profits per month, why'd you sell UKOffer.com? Why not just pay someone a few hundred pounds a month to keep updating it regularly and then pocket the difference?

Not having a go, genuinely curious. To the outside observer, seems like you needed some cash quickly.

This might explain it ;)
For Sale - UKOffer.com

Hey Kieron, if you're really making 5 or 6 figures in profits per month, why'd you sell UKOffer.com? Why not just pay someone a few hundred pounds a month to keep updating it regularly and then pocket the difference?

Not having a go, genuinely curious. To the outside observer, seems like you needed some cash quickly.

As I said in my blog post, I'm concentrating on ShareMyPlaylists.com, ContentNow.co.uk and Bingo.org.uk. I hadn't updated UKOffer.com for 7 months or so, so decided to sell it.

Getting in third parties to update affiliate sites isn't as easy as it first looks. You have to give them access to all sorts of affiliate networks and train them all how to use them and create links etc etc. Very, very time consuming and difficult to find someone trustworthy. Not for me in this instance so just though better of it and sell it.

monthly revenue

There are affiliates who £xxx,xxx per month and ones who do millions per month. I believe traffic broker are the largest in the uk and have published figures of £5 million per month...nice:)

Doug

Great name but I don't get it.
If you are concentrating on bingo.org.uk and a few others, why are you not doing the same with poker.org.uk?

Going by your bank statement you are in a league of the elite. Why sell? Why are you not giving it the same attention as bingo.org.uk?

Great name but I don't get it.
If you are concentrating on bingo.org.uk and a few others, why are you not doing the same with poker.org.uk?

Going by your bank statement you are in a league of the elite. Why sell? Why are you not giving it the same attention as bingo.org.uk?

As I've explained in my blog post and on this thread, I don't have the time. It's really that simple. I have loads of domains that are undeveloped, poker.org.uk is just one of them.

Kieron, I think you have slapped yourself in the face with your own gauntlet on this one! :D

Develop it :D

Kieron, I think you have slapped yourself in the face with your own gauntlet on this one! :D

What on earth are you talking about? I don't have time to develop it. Is that difficult to understand?

My initial post on this thread was about how now may be a good time to try to market poker.org.uk seeing as poker.org sold for $1m. That's it.

What on earth are you talking about? I don't have time to develop it. Is that difficult to understand?

My initial post on this thread was about how now may be a good time to try to market poker.org.uk seeing as poker.org sold for $1m. That's it.

Yes I understand that....but the thread has drifted a little! I'm just pro you developing it and showing any doubters wrong :D (again..yes I do understand you dont have the time right now)

I wonder if, for an individual affiliate, having a domain like Poker.org(.uk) is actually too strong an exact match to compete. The guys in the top5 of G are going to have entire local and outsourced teams of content writers, SEOs and link spammers / buyers going after these terms. It's a full time job and more just to monitor and coordinate that. Plus, if you ever did get top 5 or 10, those guys would up their game some more as it's their entire business focus to take those top spots.

Don't get me wrong, for an affiliate, Poker.org.(uk) is a great domain and so is Bingo.org.uk .. but a huge challenge to rank well in G without the resources and focus of a gambling company IMHO.

Fair enough, maybe revisit this old thread from me on Sitepoint a couple of years ago :) My Bank Statement - Monthly Earnings from AM - SitePoint Forums

That was 4 years ago now! Any plans to do a 2010 version? :)

I wonder if, for an individual affiliate, having a domain like Poker.org(.uk) is actually too strong an exact match to compete. The guys in the top5 of G are going to have entire local and outsourced teams of content writers, SEOs and link spammers / buyers going after these terms. It's a full time job and more just to monitor and coordinate that. Plus, if you ever did get top 5 or 10, those guys would up their game some more as it's their entire business focus to take those top spots.

Don't get me wrong, for an affiliate, Poker.org.(uk) is a great domain and so is Bingo.org.uk .. but a huge challenge to rank well in G without the resources and focus of a gambling company IMHO.

That was 4 years ago now! Any plans to do a 2010 version? :)

You're absolutely right, it will be a massive undertaking to get onto the first page of Google. The domain will help but it will also need loads and loads of backlinks, content and PR etc. Hence selling it :)

And no, I have no plans for a 2010 verson of my bank statement.

I think both poker.org and poker.org.co.uk best suit organisations involved in poker - governing bodies, associations and so on.

These people have deep pockets and it might be worth pitching poker.org.uk to UK based organisations that fit the bill.

I might have to eat my shoes .. one of them anyway .. regarding the sale of Poker.org .. seems that the buyer has outlayed big money previously in the .org extension.

**The new runner-up is Blackjack.org, a name that Sonermo's company paid $298,000 for in a previously unannounced transaction completed on October 31, 2007. PokerCompany.com went on to develop that domain into one of the shining stars in their stable of gaming names. Google even ranks the Blackjack.org site higher than Blackjack.com. Clearly, Sonermo's company knows what they are doing. **

After Setting .Org Price Record By Paying $1 Million for Poker.org, Buyer Reveals For the 1st Time That They Also Bought the 2nd Most Expensive .Org Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts