Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Powerful Laptop recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are almost no laptops sold with SSD drives as standard, and those that do come with SSDs tend to come with small, no-name (i.e. slow) SSD drives in them. Given that this is the single biggest improvement you can make to a PC, it's really worth thinking about putting an aftermarket one in.

It is usually pretty easy to replace the existing HDD with an SSD, assuming that your computer is compatible and the SSD drive fits (the spec of your particular model should give the accurate dimensions of the hard drive)

1. Buy the SSD. For example a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB drive, as recommended by Tom's Hardware and others - it's available for under £120 direct from Amazon.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

2. Buy a USB-to-SATA cable, for example this one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJZJI84/?tag=acorn06-21

3. Plug your new drive into one of the laptop's USB ports, and format it (just like you would for any new HDD)

4. Use disk cloning software to copy your entire system HDD to the SSD

5. Take out the HDD and plug the SSD in its place

6. Reboot

That should be about it. I've done it for 5 machines so far with no hiccups.

Of course, if your laptop has 2 drive bays you don't need the cable because you can just stick the SSD in the empty one.

Last edited:
Go for a Dell XPS 15 - I've had one for 6 months and loved it, just swapped it for a Surface Book though..

Well the world has moved on dude - Sony's have a rep for being awful..

There are budget Dells, and premium ones - huge difference between them

Don't write off Dell, I've many friends who had cheap ones and yes they are crap, but spend some money and they are decent

I've got a Dell XPS 15 , it's few years old now but it's been really decent (minus a few battery issues), it happily runs Chrome (with 15 tabs), photoshop, FTP programs, multiple folders, etc

It's spec:
JgV9FR8.jpg

dellXPS15_5.jpg

Though I'm looking to switch to a Macbook Pro more for portability and battery life than anything, surprised to see Dell's holding value bit more, saw my model going for £220-300 on eBay. Which will be nice to go towards the Mac

The 2015 version with infinity screen is amazing... Loving mine!

Tempted with this but ultimately a MacBook is more reliable with better battery life and similar price, plus can go to a Apple store with it if something goes wrong

But yeh it looks great and not much in it

Related aside: does nobody rate desktops any more? Even a fairly modest spec desktop will run rings around a high end laptop - there's only so much power saving technology can do for a CPU and graphics card...

Related aside: does nobody rate desktops any more? Even a fairly modest spec desktop will run rings around a high end laptop - there's only so much power saving technology can do for a CPU and graphics card...

Would be totally impractical for me personally, I work from various locations and run my businesses so they can be worked on remotely anywhere with internet. If I had a desktop would have to also have a laptop that could do everything that does too

Edwin is correct, desktops are generally much faster.

I use both, a monster PC at home and a powerful surface now. If you implement cloud technology correctly, it doesn't pose a problem working from multiple computers.

Edwin is correct, desktops are generally much faster.

I use both, a monster PC at home and a powerful surface now. If you implement cloud technology correctly, it doesn't pose a problem working from multiple computers.

It does if you need to run powerful programs on the go :)

Just bought a HP elitebook from Ballicomm - maybe not an upgrade for you but a good supplier.

https://www.ballicom.co.uk/h9w23eaa...essional-downgraded-to-windows-.p1123226.html

I work about 50-50 laptop and desktop though and tend to do the resource intensive stuff on the desktop, which is a beast set up on one of these:
http://obutto.com/ergonomic-workstations-2/r3volution-workstation/
highly recommend them, 3 screens is great for productivity

If you implement cloud technology correctly, it doesn't pose a problem working from multiple computers.

So - how do you implement cloud tech correctly?

I've got dropbox and skype, what else do I need?

I'd like to better sync my desktop, laptop, tablet, phone and staff could do with the same. I figure it's maybe time to get our own VPS if the costs stack up.

OK, so what about OS? What's the latest opinion on Windows 10? Anyone running it..?

Liked Windows 8 , Love Windows 10. In my opinion one of the best operating systems since XP.

Not had a single issue from the day of the update on my Vaio.........Will be looking for a new laptop myself soon now Vaio's are no longer made.

Pretty sure there was a thread a month or two ago which i replied to about laptops where I think Skinner had recommended a couple of good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom