Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

problem with nominet epp?

Another domain has renewed today at least 9 hours into the day, and again the EPP didn't detect the status change from Y to N. Start the conspiracy theories, all a little bit strange unless someone is tipping them off.

If the one you're referring to is golf related that looks to me like someone renewed at the last moment, ie the registrar did not benefit.

Ah interesting when I looked earlier it wasn't redirecting to Heart domains. It is now. I stand corrected.
Yep, it use to re-direct to another domain, but now to the Heart holding page. Very odd! Nominet may have some questions to answer if this continues.

The owners of pcg are still very much active, it'd be interesting to find out if they were aware of the renewel. Not so easy with golfdirect... they were bought out of administration by Mike Ashley and friends last year.

The owners of pcg are still very much active, it'd be interesting to find out if they were aware of the renewel. Not so easy with golfdirect... they were bought out of administration by Mike Ashley and friends last year.
I can find out from the owners of Golfdirect but it would mean getting another party involved and isn't really worth the hassle unless this keeps happening.

Might simply have been set to "do not cancel" by Nominet because of a request by someone involved with this transaction to give them time to renew it.

Not the case otherwise it would have been held in suspension on the existing expiry date, not renewed.

When you state "the EPP didn't detect the change", can you clarify what you mean? Do you really mean the DAC?

DAC sorry, had been a long day!

Would it surprise anyone who is a long term member of this forum to know that people contact registrants to ask them to renew domain names in order to potential agree an acquisition? Sometimes this sort of thing is successful and at other times it isn't. I've done it myself.

No surprise at all; I've done this before and on one occasion that led to a sale the guy told me who had been in touch with him offering to buy over the past few weeks. The names were very familiar! This however is too much of a coincidence, but we'll see if it happens again.

I can't see what the benefit of doing this would be unless it was just a lucky save.

We won't know really. However if the previous owner has to pay the registrar lots of money to get the domain this would be the benefit for the registrar. Hopefully registrars will end up paying for a lot of crap and abandon the practice. I predict the next thing to be altered 'for our benefit' is the removal of quota for deletion. How else is a registrar expected to taste traffic before dumping?

RobM as far as I know the quota for deletion requires manual intervention, when I were testing my database script, I missed an = so a statement were always true, I must have registered and deleted well over my limit but nothing happened. So I think excessive use is flagged and nominet either look and acted on or ignore. (edited as missed the or)

I were talking about this with an old friend, and he asked, since HEG will have their phone numbers, whats stopping them simply calling these people half way through the day and asking them ? is that explicit permission ?

This depends on whether the registrar or registrant owns the domain. I don't quite understand why you're being so pedantic about the whole 'registrars can keep domains after dropdate' thing - I'm sure you understand so must assume you're just being deliberately obtuse. However I will spell it out - if a domain would've dropped but is kept by the registrar the previous registrant *has* lost the domain name.

I know, only the first part of my comment were for you, the second part were general, I should have put them the other way around.

Basically *if* golfdirect did not renew the domain who did? The only benefiting from any traffic the domain might have had are now the registrar.

Whatever was the case the domain name was renewed on the final day of potential deletion and it's registrant hasn't changed. I can't see what the benefit of doing this would be unless it was just a lucky save.
Don't know about that David, you do it, why do you leave it so late? ;)

We'll just have to find out by getting in touch with the previous registrant. If they didn't renew the domain the registrar is squatting on it. They haven't paid to change any details and they didn't let it drop.

Can you maybe, I don't know, ask your board buddies if they can define explicit? Its not like they are trying to keep the rules simple of save space. Surely a set definition is required, if not expected.

I think explicit has got to mean in writing, potentially subject to challenge or audit.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom