Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Reaction score
Just got an email from these jokers. Some kind of tax refund / phishing scam, no doubt.

It's good to see that eNom have blocked the site.

Nominet, of course, validated the registrant's questionable data without question. :rolleyes:

Domain name:
hmrc-tax-refund.org.uk

Registrant:
Lose

Registrant type:
Non-UK Individual

Registrant's address:
1 The Gardens
Southwick
Brighton and Hove
BN42 4AP
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 14-Mar-2016

Registrar:
eNom, Inc. [Tag = ENOM]
URL: http://www.enom.com

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 14-Mar-2016
Expiry date: 14-Mar-2017
Last updated: 03-Aug-2016

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
blockedduetophishing.pleasecontactsupport.com
dummysecondary.pleasecontactsupport.com

Out of interest, what is their "3rd party data source"?

http://www.nominet.uk/whois/?query=hmrc-tax-refund.org.uk#whois-results

If Nominet wanted to, surely they could ban any name being registered with certain words such as HMRC, PayPal, bank names etc. until further information was provided by the registrant?

That could go a little way to helping reduce phishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it simply checks the validity of the address, not whether the registrant exists at the address. Therefore if it's a valid address, it will be validated.

Your belief is correct.

I can register domains to our virtual office address, with no issues. I can also register them in my name, at a family members address.

I can also register them to an address I don't yet live at, and it gets verified. I've recently registered some to a new address (commercial property) that we only completed the sale last week for.

To be honest, its not worth the pixels its printed on, as the verification takes place after registration, and any issues are only picked up on weeks later, and registrants then have a few weeks longer to amend or supply correct info, before they suspend the domain. This don't help with phishing.

This don't help with phishing.

Evidently not.

But wasn't "data validation" cited by Niominet as one of the reasons for higher costs & thus higher prices?

If they aren't doing it properly, then we might just as well give it up & have lower prices. :D

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom