Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Reggae Reggae Sauce - Have You Tried it Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Call me slow to react to marketing, but tonight I tried Reggae Reggae sauce for the first time. Has anyone else tried it? My conclusion - it's good stuff, and it's got a bit of a kick to it.

It's a lesson in the power of TV advertising / coverage.

Rgds :cool:

I actualy havnt! Its on the list of things to do :)

It is a fairly unremarkable barbecue style sauce, all right, but nothing unusual.

Bruce

Y right, it is a Jamaican recipe jerky sauce that has been put into supermarkets and failed - been relabelled and remarketed - put into supermarkets - and I bought a bottle reduced to clear in Tesco last week (o yez, I like it too).

It is all down to marketing and historic purchases. Frankly, I do not know why anybody buys HP sauce these days, it is made in Holland by people who don't know what it should taste like. But people still buy it ...

Supermarkets do not give a lot of new ideas sufficient time to really attack the market, the product gets one bite at the cherry, and if it does not take off, that's the producer's fault for not getting the advertising right. And in a way, that's the truth. People will buy all sorts of rubbish if it gets the right pitch on TV - remember Still Tango? Richard Clayderman records?

May the Lord's name be praised, a lot of these advertising hyped wonder products have not survived. When I was small, I wanted HP baked beans, mum, because of the pressure of advertising them at times when I was near a TV. Truth is, the things were laden with tartrazine, which made me hyperactive - Heinz were much better for me, but I couldn't tell that as a child.

There's a french chef called Joel Robuchon. You may not know his name (he doesn't do English TV much), but he was one of Gordon Ramsay's mentors (although Ramsay has said that working for Robuchon was like being in the SAS), and he is one of the two people that have more Michelin stars than Gordon Ramsay. Acksherly, Joel Robuchon has more Michelin stars than ANYONE in the Universe!

Joel Robuchon endorses a particular brand of coffee. You can buy it in almost all French supermarkets. About a dozen years ago, it was on sale in Waitrose, and nobody bought it. Why? No advertising.

I was selling coffee at the time, and that stuff sold if you gave people a taste of it, but the English prices for coffee were very high - when they dropped to levels comparable to France, I was beaten.

WTH the ground coffee they sell in IKEA is the best value buy! But Reggae Reggae sauce is going to be lost to the world for the second time because they didn't get the marketing right - again.

You can buy Hoe's chutney in a lot of Co-op stores in the NW. Do it now -

Biographical note: crabfoot, under the alias klypos, is actually the moderator of ask.recipelabs.com - not a lot of people know that!

Last edited:
@ crabfoot, tell me what you want to have changed in the HP sauce and i will go to that factory and get it changed :)

Is this that sauce made by that jamaican guy who appeared on dragons den last year or the year before? I was watching it and couldnt understand why anyone would invest in thaty guy and his product, it was doomed to fail... If i remember it correctly he was the guy who was thinking he got a letter of intention saying company x would buy millions of his product where in reality it was jus 1000 or something

I was watching it and couldnt understand why anyone would invest in thaty guy and his product, it was doomed to fail... If i remember it correctly he was the guy who was thinking he got a letter of intention saying company x would buy millions of his product where in reality it was jus 1000 or something

Good job you arent a Dragon then ;)

The sauce and associated 'ready' meals are everywhere now and clearly doing very well indeed.

As a lover of hot sauces (I have Tabasco on EVERYTHING), I quite like the taste but im not too keen on the short life span of the product.

Haha, wow, never expected that. Well done by the reggea man and his investors then.

Maybe i should reconsider my appearence in the Den next year and not go ahead with it...

I have some in the fridge, it's been there ages, it's too hot for the family, but not hot enough for me so we've only used about half of it.

It's much simpler to make a meal, dish up the family plates and then add a bit of ground chilli powder to mine :)

It's quite nice, it's like sweet and sour mixed with bbq sauce, unlike marmite but most people will like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts