Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registrant Id for new contacts on catches

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by DaveP, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I appreciate any information anyone can share related to this.

When creating a domain via EPP one must provide a registrant ID on my tag yet from the documentation the contact has to have a domain on my tag already to have a registrant id.

How can I catch a domain for a new contact who isn't on my tag yet? Is it a case of registering a dummy domain or is it more simpler than that?

I may just be overlooking something in Nominet's documentation but I can't see anything about this.

I hope that makes sense lol.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

2. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

In your Nominet account, go to the web manager and click "create a domain", when you've chosen the domain, scroll down and click next, on the next page you can choose existing registrant or "add new", I guess use that one, and add the details of the new registrant then complete the registration process.

After that, go to "manage domains" and in the "Registered to" column, use the ID number next to that domain.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

That's not going to work Kev.

You need to use the <contact:create> command to add a contact, and give them a contact id (you make this up to match your local database schema), then you use that contact id which you madeup as the registrant id in the create command.

You can also get this by using the info command if you use an autogenerated one.

Edit: you can create a contact on the nom panel then use the contact id command to get the reg id.

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Ahh, I thought he meant an ID to stick in a catcher control panel like I had to do, ignore that then :)

5. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Sorry for my terrible explanation before. What I meant was for a contact to stay on my tag they must always have at least one domain name but if there a new member who have say backordered a domain name with me they won't have a domain at that time hence their contact won't stay on my tag.

To break it down:

- Somebody backorders a domain name with me.
    - If I catch the domain name I want it to be in their name not mine, hence no Nominet transfer fee when they pay me. I can just move it to their registrar.
    - But said contact won't be on my tag if they don't already have at least one domain name registered. So do I need to create a dummy domain and take a hit?

Hope I'm making more sense now.

6. Skinner

just run this to add them as a contact on your tag

then when you get the domain send the query like

7. Skinner

8. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, I've seen that. But what I'm saying is when I tried this in the past shortly after the contact had disappeared on my tag. I think this happened because the contact no longer had a domain associated. So does that mean Nominet have recently changed this so I can have a contact on my tag without a domain?

Edit: So I just tried again without creating a domain and the test contact is still there. That serves me right for making assumptions without following up with an actual test. Like they say 'assume makes an ass out of u and me', well just me in this case. lol

Thanks again. :)

9. Skinner

No probs bud.

I spent about 3 days playing before I realised that the contact:id becomes the domain:registrant.

You also have to create each name server the same way too, if you don't do a host:create with each new name server, you get a 1000 all ok code, but then a v### error telling you it failed, and its not very clear what went wrong.

10. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

So can you create a new domain to that test registrant using the standard epp hex with no domain on the tag?

11. Skinner

Yeah, once you have added the contact/registrant on your tag, you can then create domains on that registrant/contact.

12. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

This is what confused me as it never used to be like this up to just even a few months ago. I suppose Nominet's switch to standard EPP format means it's now possible though. :D

13. RobM

RobM Retired Member

I emailed nominet about this. They said it's now possible to create a contact *without* registering a domain for them but only using the EPP. Also this contact will not show in your web panel until there is a domain associated with them. Also be aware that once you change the tag, if that is the only domain the contact has, then the contact will disappear and you will have to recreate it. A major pain in the ass but nominet clearly don't want to make this simple.

14. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

Thanks for informing me mate. So I was kind of correct in that they do still disappear but now under slightly different circumstances. Darn confusing.. :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.