Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Registrant type

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by mishmash, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

One of my registrars (UKreg) doesn't allow me to set the registrant type, the field is always set to "UK Individual". Due to this I've inadvertently registered a couple of domains with the registrant being a UK Limited Company, but the registrant type being "UK Individual", and made other registrations where the registrant isn't an UK individual.

Ukreg also don't let me change from having opted to have my address omitted from the WHOIS service - when a domain becomes used commercially.

Does this matter?
    Do I need to stop using Ukreg?

If it does, or might matter in the future, surely Nominet ought to insist their registrars allow end users to edit their details.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes it does matter, if someone complained about your WHOIS records Nominet would change it.

Have you emailed them asking how you can correct things?

3. Jac

Jac Active Member

Admin is quite correct

Admin is quite correct. Each individual tag holder should provide a list of all registrant types on their web forms. If they don't they should be made aware of it. Alternatively email [email protected] (Operations Director) and they will ask the tag holder to provide all options for registrant types.

That aside, each registrant gets a letter of confirmation which includes a unique password which allows them to access Registrants Online. They can then change all contact details including the registrant type. The only field they cannot change is the actual registrant field.

Regards
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

4. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

Do you have a link to Nominet policy on that - which I can quote when writing to UKreg? If they don't have a formal policy on it then I think it would be a useful one to have so that registrants can easily enter the correct information when registering domains.

I have emailed UK reg on a number of occasions, including when trying to change the opt-out of personal address information appearing in the whois, they don't provide an option to do this on their control panel, and didn't exceute the change when requested by email. I have not yet requested a registrant type change - I've only just noticed that they didn't have a field for it.

They did inform me that they would be upgrading their control panel early this year and they would forward my suggestions.

They do have "Company Name" as a required field for all contacts.

5. Jac

Jac Active Member

Mmmmm.... I just noticed there actually doesn't seem to be a formal policy for this one except where Nominet "encourages" tag holders to populate the registrant type field. http://www.nominet.org.uk/tag/auto/regtype/

I'll speak to Nominet about this tomorrow and get back to you. I am a bit surprised there isn't something a tad stronger in the Tag Holder Agreement because Nominet has always been quite adamant that all fields must be filled in correctly.

Regards
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

6. Jac

Jac Active Member

Further to my last post. I spoke to Lesley Cowley, CEO, and she said the following:

The registrant type field is currently not mandatory. However, we do encourage all tag holders to populate this field because it helps us to identify the registrant correctly, and in the case of consumers, offer the relevant protections under the Data Protection and Distance Selling legislation.

However, leaving this field blank is very different to incorrectly categorising every registrant as a consumer. In addition the Tag Holder Agreement requires the tag holder to "amend details on the Register Database promptly on receiving a request to do so from the Registrant" (para 1.7). This would include the reg-type field.

Lesley also said it would be unacceptable for a tag holder to refuse to correct this information if asked. So if you have a problem in this respect please email [email protected] (Operations Director) and make a complaint against the specific tag holder.

I hope the above helps clarify things.

Regards
    James Conaghan
    [PAB Member]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  7. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

I wrote to the operations director on the 19th of August 2006, this email is below:
    I recieved a holding reply from an assistant to the Operations director on 22 August 2006
    On the 5th of September, I recieved the below reply from the director of operations at Nominet:
    I have replied to the above, with a copy of my correspondence with UKreg, including support ticket request IDs.

I also gave the requested permission for the OD to use me as an example when pursuing this:
    I lastly noted that the OD had not commented on the "incorrectly categorising every registrant as a consumer" problem:

8. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

Exactly a year on, UKREG/Fasthosts have updated their control pannel, but have still not provided a mechanism for the Registrant-Type field to either be set to anything other than "UK Individual" either during or after registration.

There is also no option to change the whois-optout status of a domain, and an email request has not been acted upon.

I am still interested to find out why Nominet allow major registrars to behave like this, and I have again sent an email to the Operations Director to try and find out.

9. stevebrowne United Kingdom

stevebrowne Active Member

They will update to LTD if you email support.

10. rob

rob Founding Member

11. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Yep, as per my thread above, I'm experiencing a similar problem, I even went to the lengthy process of creating a new account with all my company details to avoid this problem, yet when registering a domain last night, it still put me (personally) as the registrar and UK individual.

Fashosts claim that you can just add a business in the address book, which of course doesn't resolve the problem, plus I've already provided this information as my primary address.

I have emailed Nominet to ask if they would be so kind as to adjust for me FOC. They have afterall got my details, they all match including email address etc, it's just the registrar name and status!

It seems from reviewing the control panel in UKReg that the only solution is the put your business name as the first name and surname, i.e. (first name) Mybusiness (surname) Ltd but that's a bit of a farce.

Does anyone have a solution for this, or have UKReg really not moved on since years ago?

12. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

JAC nominet are toothless to enforce this 'unacceptable' for them not to correct something.

I have complained to nominet about 123-reg's unwillingness to actually even register a domain I have paid for and entered into a contract for, nor even to correct that they registered the same domain to someone else 3 days after me.

They maybe able to twist some of the smaller tag holders arms up their back on here, but UKReg, 1and1 and 123 and the likes of will do what they damned well please and nominet will sit there and take it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.