Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Report: Get involved or lose your .uk domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm being thick. Just so I can understand your position could you just clarify what your ultimate, personal goal in all this is:

A. - to stop .UK from happening at all.

B. - you've kind of accepted its happening and are just trying to amend proposals in a way you think is fair/er.

Any comments on my intended press release welcome;

Big flaws in the new .uk domain extension exposed

Nominet the UK domain registrar authority are trying to introduce a new domain name extension .uk (e.g. ibm.uk).
The details of the proposal have not been widely publicised, yet the UK domaining community are convinced it will be implemented as proposed.

What has not been publicized or debated is the negative aspects
that will be created when .uk gets introduced such as:

An “opt in” scheme; result will be the Owners of a Million or more .co.uk domains will not apply for new .uk, as they will not know about it?​

“Oldest registration gets first chance”; so up to 250,000 .co.uk domain holders will not be able to obtain the equivalent .uk under the current proposal including: Hotmail.co.uk Dreams.co.uk Windows.co.uk Food.co.uk Sky.co.uk ee.co.uk audible.co.uk freelancer.co.uk independent.co.uk gap.co.uk instyle.co.uk Art.co.uk DayNurseries.co.uk Unwins.co.uk ITS.co.uk Adams.co.uk Bes.co.uk FlowersDirect.co.uk Custard.co.uk Build.co.uk TopMail.co.uk TheBelfry.co.uk Benedict.co.uk Smiles.co.uk Tamba.co.uk Pims.co.uk Planet.co.uk Prospects.co.uk PopupStands.co.uk DestinationFlorida.co.uk PaydayLoans.co.uk oba.co.uk RadioCity.co.uk Alli.co.uk to name but a few.​

New .uk domain will cost over 100% more than .co.uk and you will still have to keep paying for the .co.uk renewals.

More security with .uk: devaluing confidence in .co.uk and .org.uk websites.

Security nightmare with different owners of .co.uk and .uk​

Details of these flaws about .uk can be found in a report “Get involved or lose your .uk domains” which can be downloaded at www.YourUk.org.uk

Also another good perspective on .uk can be found at www.splashweb.co.uk/directuk

Please contact me, Stephen Wilde with any questions on this Press Release at [email protected].

THE END

Answer C.

Sorry if I'm being thick. Just so I can understand your position could you just clarify what your ultimate, personal goal in all this is:

A. - to stop .UK from happening at all.

B. - you've kind of accepted its happening and are just trying to amend proposals in a way you think is fair/er.

C. I would like .uk to go ahead (have always wanted it) with an alternative proposal
of 100% linking .co.uk and .uk ownership, as mentioned in the report.
For the reasons mentioned in the report.

I feel that their has not been enough exposure of the current .uk proposal to the many it will effect.
I'm putting in effort to get more people involved outside the world of domainers and encourage them to feed in
what they consider best for the UK namespace, whatever that maybe.

Last edited:
Press Release changes

Thank you as always your contribution, observations are very welcome.

That's rather an overreach, and I don't think you're doing yourself any favours by referencing the "domaining community" since A) "domaining" is seen as broadly negative, B) there isn't actually the kind of consensus you're outlining, even on Acorn - I'm confident there are plenty of people who don't agree with the "solution" in your report, and C) it's NOT clear that it will be implemented as proposed (it's very likely to go ahead, but we may still have a V3 etc)

I accept not all domainers (maybe even the majority) or readers of the report will agree with my conclusion.

I think there is a difference between those that may agree pairing would be best for UK namespace and those that think the 100% pairing has no chance of getting implemented,
as it is often quoted that solution does not suit Nominet desire for funds.
I also accept that many have decided that .uk should not go ahead at all, some out of principle and some through fatigue with the matter.

The statement is purely about whether .uk will come, to counter the defence to any question raised about .uk that "it is only a proposal".
I could not find a better way to counter that often used dismissive statement.

I do believe via your own poll at Acorn (the only real UK domaining community): How likely do you think we are to see a .uk go ahead?
which shows 73.69% of the poll shows .uk will inevitably a very good chance of .uk going ahead. Or 12.63% think it is unlikely to go ahead.

The words used on the Nominet Q & A on the subject, the statements made at the round table,
Nominet's actions and statements to date etc. also support the view that .uk is coming in 2014.

Plus emails I have had about the matter and the lack of media attention on the subject,
the lack of participants outside domaining that attended the London roundtable support that outcome.

Again this utterly unprovable notion of a huge number of victims. I'd take this out entirely, or bury it deep in the press release if you really can't bring yourself to do so. As it is, opening with the least defensible point dramatically weakens the whole press release, when it's possible to dig up data to support other points.

I disagree, now it has been watered down to "a million plus domains" rather than "millions of owners" after your helpful previous comments.

To get more people knowing about .uk, depends on some things happening like Nominet sending out many emails like they do with renewals,
however the information to hand only shows they will send ONE email as otherwise it could be construed as spam selling .uk.
Also I do not believe Nominet will make a real effort on contacting bounced emails and launching an effective awareness .uk campaign.

Also awareness depends on the main UK registrars actively promoting .uk, with offers of huge profit margins
from other new gTLD's that might just might not happen.

Also it would need lots of media exposure over the 6 months, which sadly I don't think will be forth coming.

Plus more awareness assumes their would be a quick and seismic shift to .uk usage and people will pick up on it in the 6 months, I don't think so.

Plus a lack of effort to contact the 7% of domains held outside the UK.

So I stand by my statement and consider to be a central reason to seek alternative allocation methods.

True. But would be more accurate (and read better) if you said "Oldest continuous domain registrant given first priority to register the equivalent .uk domain"

Thanks but trying to keep it as short as possible without misleading the reader.

Partially true. Would be a stronger statement if you took out the part about having to keep paying for the .co.uk renewals, because that's down to personal choice, whereas the higher price is (in the proposal at least) a matter of fact.

Thanks have modified to:

New .uk domain will cost over 100% more than .co.uk and you will still keep paying for the .co.uk renewals to protect your website.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. How does devaluing confidence provide more security?

Thanks have modified to:

Confidence in trusted extensions like .co.uk, .org.uk, .sch.uk etc. will be eroded by claims .uk is more secure.

Which is one of the big arguments at V1, it is done to a lesser extend in V2 but the point is still valid.

Better to say something like "Much greater incidence of phishing attacks and misdirected emails stemming from the prospect of the .co.uk and .uk domains being owned by different parties."

Thanks have modified to:

Security nightmare with different owners of .co.uk and .uk: phishing attacks, misdirected email, scams, cyber-squatting and fraud.

Last edited:
continuous?

I'm confused - why would you omit such a critical piece of information such as "continuous.."

Can you please provide me with an example of were it would be misleading to omit the word "continuous", were the result of who is entitled to the .uk would change?

I do not regard it as critical as once a domain is cancelled it is dead. Any existing domain has a registration date and there is no other relevant published date at Whois or at Nominet of any earlier date, as domainers we may refer to its pre-reg date but to the public the date of the current registration is actually the relevant registration date, so they are effectively one and the same.

Last edited:
Press Release - goes out on Bank Holiday weekend

Thank for comments and assistance with improving report and press release.

It is ironic that it will go out tomorrow at 7am, a Saturday on a Bank holiday weekend.

If Nominet had sent a story out at that time, in my paranoid state I'd have said they are just trying to bury the story.
It gives you some perspective; sometimes things just happen that way!

Had to downplay some of the impact by prefixing "possible" before flaws, to get it past the PR legal team.

As I have spend good money trying to get to as many UK media outlets as possible, I will try to keep you informed if there is any take up.

I'm still sending individual emails to UK Trade Associations about the report and requesting they complete the Nominet consultation,
tailoring each email to there niche, but it is a slow job.

Enjoy the Bank holiday weekend

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom