Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Retro Sweets

Discussion in 'Website Reviews' started by mat, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Yum yum!

Please check out a site I have been working on... Retro Sweets

I recently purchased the domain name, which gets around 15,000 local exact searches making it one of the most searched for sweet related terms.

While making the site I opted to manually create the pages rather than use a datafeed. I managed to automate all the images and "buy" links to the relevant pages. (Yes I did have to rename every single image manually for it to work, which took over 3 hours :D)

There are currently over 500 retro sweets listed.

I am hoping that once the site gets visitors, they will start using the social buttons.

Any feedback welcome! :)

2. KingDomainNames United Kingdom

KingDomainNames Active Member

Aah, takes me back to the olden days...

I'd also have the text "Follow us on Twitter" with a link to the twitter account as well as the icon next to it, just so there is more to hover over in order to make it easier to click.

I'd change the text "pick and mix" to Pick 'n' Mix.

Also, I can see on Facebook there is already a couple of pages dedicated to Retro Sweets - one has over 4,000 fans/likes, BUT, they don't appear to have claimed their vanity url: facebook.com/retrosweets
    Note: sometimes Facebook won't allow certain words/phrases to be used if they are deemed too generic, etc., so maybe that is why the above vanity url hasn't been used/claimed.
    Hope this helps in case you were going to set up a facebook page. I'm guessing you know all this already, but thought I'd throw it into the mix just in case.

Like the logo font and the bubblegum-style colours !

Cheers,
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Good ideas, have changed the twitter link and pic 'n' mix.

I am leaving Facebook for now as I hate using it! :p But thanks for letting me know about the vanity url.

4. Dizzy United Kingdom

Dizzy Member

sweet as yer like.

I've been looking for a Texan bar for ages if you come across any ;)

5. mat

mat Well-Known Member

AQuarterOf cant get hold of them anymore for some reason!

6. Dizzy United Kingdom

Dizzy Member

it's a blummin crime! Texans were very clever chocolate bars indeed.

Good luck with the site though. Nice logo by the way.

7. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Nice site Mat. Brings back memories. Wish it was still possible to buy Fry's 'Five Boys' chocolate. Anyone remember that?

8. Nick11380

Nick11380 Active Member

Needs more flying saucers!

My 2 cents would be that the GD Star Rating might look a bit mad once most products have been voted on. Also a better search/sort function where you can list products by rating (I know you have top 5) would be great for a user.

But other than that the site looks great, good luck with it :)

9. khuram4u

khuram4u Active Member

Nice website, If you could add the background colors or rounded corner blocks to "Recommended Retro Sweets!" to make this look separate from the right side. Also try adding the lighter colors at the left blocks.

10. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I love the site, but then I'm biased because I have a sweet tooth - just the one , all of the others fell out j/k.

What kind of commission do you get when you sell sweets? I used to love Nerds, whatever happened to them?

11. scwebsites

scwebsites Active Member

Nice, I like that. My only comments would be...

The black dividers on the horizontal menu are a bit harsh

Once off the home page there is no navigational link back to the home page. I know the logo is linked, but you need a text link back to the home page.

Have you ever thought of asking any of the sweet shops if you can do some sort of drop ship type affair where you can take the order and payment and pass it on to them for fulfillment? Would be better than aff links.

12. scwebsites

scwebsites Active Member

Nice, I like that. My only comments would be...

The black dividers on the horizontal menu are a bit harsh

Once off the home page there is no navigational link back to the home page. I know the logo is linked, but you need a text link back to the home page.

Have you ever thought of asking any of the sweet shops if you can do some sort of drop ship type affair where you can take the order and payment and pass it on to them for fulfillment? Would be better than aff links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.