Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

security update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
"As part of a security update, NameDrive has changed the password for
your login to access our system.

From now on, we will require you to change your passwords every 90 days
as part of good security practices.

To gain access to your account and to retrieve your new password, please
click the following link.

Send Password

The new password will be sent to the email you use to login to NameDrive
."

Ok good stuff & overdue . . . . but how long do I have to wait to receive the email ? - it's now a good 30 mins and counting

Mark

Hi Mark,

The mails are sent immediately. I suggest you check your spam filter. If it is not there, PM me and I will send it to your email.

Ed

From now on, we will require you to change your passwords every 90 days
as part of good security practices.

Nope, i'd disagree! all it ends up being is password1 then 2 then 3 then 4 and so on.

My password at work changes every month, what a farce!!

Mally, if NameDrive change your password, it will always be completely randomised.

If a user changes their own name, it is up to them to choose something secure.

I, for one, know from services that I use that it may sometimes be irritating to have to change your password, however, I am aware that some ND users have not changed their NameDrive passwords for the 3.5 years that their accounts have been active.

Even changing it minimally by adding one or two numbers to the end is more secure than keeping the same password for ever.

I hope this explains our actions.

Ed

This is just an annoyance.

I've had the same password on Namedrive for years. It's ten mixed characters, I use it nowhere else and it's not written down.
What's the advantage to changing it? And why do Namedrive feel the need to force me.

I find it hard to believe that ppl are complaining about having to change their password :confused:

Just because you have had no problems with a password that you've kept the same for years doesn't render it bullet proof - It is a good and sensible practice to change it every so often. You'd be the first to complain if someone compromised your account through PW guessing or such.

Well done to ND for upping the security policy of the site (and it's users).

Fish

Just because you have had no problems with a password that you've kept the same for years doesn't render it bullet proof - It is a good and sensible practice to change it every so often.

That didn't answer the question, why is it sensible practice?

Why is a new password more secure than the old one?

That didn't answer the question, why is it sensible practice?

Why is a new password more secure than the old one?

Quite simply, in case your password has been compromised either through external sources or internal abuse by employees

Quite simply, in case your password has been compromised either through external sources or internal abuse by employees

If the password is compromised, what difference does it make if it was recently changed?

There seems no logic to it.

If the password is compromised, what difference does it make if it was recently changed?

There seems no logic to it.

For example, someone had your password and they were sitting on it to utilise at a later date, meanwhile you change it thus rendering the (old) password useless.

Like with ID theft, card cloning, account jacking etc you ususally only know about it when something goes wrong. There is no infalible remedy of keeping security 100% tight. It makes sense however not to make it easy for anyone who has nefarious intent.

Fish

Hope NameDrive wasn't hacked.

And there is no e-mail for me either.

It's reported in the news that Namedrive suffered a password exposure hack for 1% of its users, hence the new measures and enforced password change.

Mally, if NameDrive change your password, it will always be completely randomised.

If a user changes their own name, it is up to them to choose something secure.

I, for one, know from services that I use that it may sometimes be irritating to have to change your password, however, I am aware that some ND users have not changed their NameDrive passwords for the 3.5 years that their accounts have been active.

Even changing it minimally by adding one or two numbers to the end is more secure than keeping the same password for ever.

I hope this explains our actions.

Ed

this realy is a poor show, no mention of account details being leaked then. The least you can do for customers is be upfront about an issue rather than try to gloss over the reason for the change

All such sites should have "You last accessed this account.. (date and time).", and then the legitimate account holder might then know if someone hacked/ cracked in.

jwm, I wasn't glossing over the matter. In fact, I had already one hour previously to this post posted on DNForum that we have had notice of a security issue and have taken swift action to close the issue.

My post to Mally was a reaction to his specific point.

We have always been upfront about any issues we have ever encountered on ND and are not going to start trying to brush things under the carpet now.

Any accounts we believe to have been affected were contacted directly by mail.

Ed

As to argonaut's comments. We are looking at such measures, both for users and for ourselves to monitor. However, I feel that if someone has accessed your account, then informing you of the fact is probably already too late, so we ensure it never gets to this point in the first place.

Perhaps account holders should register an ip address (or several) for account access, and if another ip is detected the system then sends an email alert to the account holder.

Yes, we were thinking of something along those lines as well with a fixed IP for logging in.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom