Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo Sale : Wecompare (co.uk) - £20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Noticed this on the recent sales list from sedo, looks like a good price they got for it. Must be for one of those insurance comparison sites or something.

Either the buyer went in with a very high offer, or the seller was a very good negotiator in my opinion.

Maybe that the buyer was Mark Pearson and already owned the .com had something to do with it :)

Didn't the .com also sell for a pretty large sum? I think I had this one on my list to reg, could have been the .org.uk.

If it was the .co.uk I might have to slap myself in the face for not regging it

Definately a biggy. Mark is clearly moving into comparison now. Bizarre he chose we compare due to its similarity with go compare...

I wouldn't say bizarre, perhaps he is hoping for some typo traffic. He has a track record of going for similar domains such as groopola - groupon etc.

I wouldn't say bizarre, perhaps he is hoping for some typo traffic. He has a track record of going for similar domains such as groopola - groupon etc.

They are called that because its 'group' buying. Typo traffic would be non-existent from Go to We. If your thinking about brand identification then I again think its bizarre, he has no need to piggy back off another brand's identity and gocompare don't have a great identity compared to moneysupermarket or confused.com :) Just my 2cents :)

Sedo making 10% on a TM typo...

Whatever next? :rolleyes:

Jokers should be banned from this forum, giving us a bad name.

Sedo making 10% on a TM typo...

Whatever next? :rolleyes:

Jokers should be banned from this forum, giving us a bad name.

Do you mean in general (which I completely agree) or on this specific domain? I don't think there is any issue with this sale, because the .com never even had a site on it when the .co.uk was registered.

Absolutely brilliant deal for the seller, but not something you can plan for. Both luck on his part, and Mark Pearson doing something silly. He could have had that domain for 10% of the price if he bought it before he announced he'd bought the .com. Once an internet millionaire develops something on the .com, any rational valuation of the .co.uk goes out the window...

Good to see a comparison name selling at this level ... I think the seller got an excellent result, and the buyer has a strong brandable name.

Rgds

Great sale price. Adds to another couple of 'compare' domains I noticed registered to the same person and sold through Sedo within the past couple of years:

CompareReviews.co.uk - £1,000
CompareMobilePhones.co.uk - £9,000

Whatever the dynamics of the purchase a great sale and definately a born negotiator to conclude at that price.

Strikes me as a midway-house sort of domain for those that profess generics against brandables. = A very strong message domain

As a Sideline Not sure about that 'SEDO Sale' header, bystanders maybe but, if they actively matched the seller and buyer I'll happily stand corrected

Last edited:
Whatever the dynamics of the purchase a great sale and definately a born negotiator to conclude at that price.

I wouldn't think it takes much skills to negotiate that one to 20k....

The owner of the .com is worth however many ten's of millions and has a developed site on it. Without any chance in hell of taking the domain using legal action, he could hold him to ransom over it.

He could have gambled on it, by holding the domain even longer as the bigger Marks site gets, the more valuable the .co.uk became. But on the flip side if Mark runs that .com into the ground the 20k valuation deflates...

Would anyone have sold it or held it on that basis and price? I think I'd have developed a site on it and gambled on it being worth more in a year or two.

Other than MVC Marks other stuff is rubbish

This will just be another one......half baked copy that will be badly done.

Great sale

Doug

This will just be another one......half baked copy that will be badly done.

well, tbh how this bloke is making wonga is beyond me
a simple search for 'we compare'
he's not even on first page lol
http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=ps...we+compare&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=296748d663d5d4ad
tags and code all over place
have to say the .com is one sh$t site
glorified landing page, and not even a good one
begs question. why buy the .co.uk? unless he plans to go monte and really build out the com

seller of .co.uk brave as the com site is average at best

Duncan Jennings of Voucher Codes has icompare.co.uk

Mark Pearson of My Voucher Codes has wecompare.co.uk

...which voucher site will take youcompare.co.uk? :D (it's not mine)

cheers

The guys are a long way from finished but its working very well:)

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom