Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo .uk rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just had an email from Sedo about a .co.uk domain which included the following...

The following message relates to all .co.uk sales, if the domain you are thinking of buying is a .co.uk domain, please read it carefully.
------

From 10th June, 2014, new, short .uk (e.g. example.uk) web domains were made available alongside .co.uk for the first time ever. This move brings the UK domainspace in line with other leading ccTLD registries, such as France's .fr, Italy's .it and Germany's .de.

.uk is intended as an alternative to the internationally recognised and trusted .co.uk. A new, shorter, sharper space for digital pioneers that want to signal a clear connection with the UK whilst benefiting from the trust that being part of the .uk domain family offers.

As part of the release process for .uk domains, Nominet granted existing .co.uk owners the exclusive right to register the .uk version of their domain. The reservation period last five years from the launch date. During this time, no one else apart from the .co.uk owner can register the .uk version.

Where one of our .co.uk domains has such rights attached, it is included and will transfer with the .co.uk to the new owner.

To confirm whether your .co.uk purchase will come with the right to register the .uk version, or not, visit dotuklaunch.co.uk and navigate your way to to the "Rights lookup" tool. Enter example.uk, if the lookup matches the following, the domain comes with rights to .uk.

Jesus, they're making another mess of this.

What if you don't want to include the .uk with your .co.uk, and just haven't registered it until you have to? There is no point in paying renewal fees if you don't intend to sell or use the domain for another year or two.

Just had an email from Sedo about a .co.uk domain which included the following...

The following message relates to all .co.uk sales, if the domain you are thinking of buying is a .co.uk domain, please read it carefully.
------

From 10th June, 2014, new, short .uk (e.g. example.uk) web domains were made available alongside .co.uk for the first time ever. This move brings the UK domainspace in line with other leading ccTLD registries, such as France's .fr, Italy's .it and Germany's .de.

.uk is intended as an alternative to the internationally recognised and trusted .co.uk. A new, shorter, sharper space for digital pioneers that want to signal a clear connection with the UK whilst benefiting from the trust that being part of the .uk domain family offers.

As part of the release process for .uk domains, Nominet granted existing .co.uk owners the exclusive right to register the .uk version of their domain. The reservation period last five years from the launch date. During this time, no one else apart from the .co.uk owner can register the .uk version.

Where one of our .co.uk domains has such rights attached, it is included and will transfer with the .co.uk to the new owner.

To confirm whether your .co.uk purchase will come with the right to register the .uk version, or not, visit dotuklaunch.co.uk and navigate your way to to the "Rights lookup" tool. Enter example.uk, if the lookup matches the following, the domain comes with rights to .uk.
That's word for word exactly I have across all my pre .uk .co.uk domains so assume the domain in question is mine? Either that or someone has copied it in its entirety, without my permission.

Thanks,
Robin

What if you don't want to include the .uk with your .co.uk, and just haven't registered it until you have to? There is no point in paying renewal fees if you don't intend to sell or use the domain for another year or two.

Agreed. Sedo's take on it now is that the seller does not have a choice.

As you said before a simple tick box will suffice: Are the rights to .uk included with this sale? Select Y/N

Eh?

Because the rights come with the .co.uk. If you haven't registered it when the domain sells then it gets sold with it.

If you have registered it then the look up will say so, and the buyer will KNOW it's the .co.uk only or can stipulate that they will only take both.

Seems fairly reasonable.

Agreed. Sedo's take on it now is that the seller does not have a choice.

As you said before a simple tick box will suffice: Are the rights to .uk included with this sale? Select Y/N

Should they have a choice? Nominet's mantra on this is that the rights go with the .co.uk unless they have BEEN exercised. The look up will show if this is the case.

Should they have a choice? Nominet's mantra on this is that the rights go with the .co.uk unless they have BEEN exercised. The look up will show if this is the case.

If you study the wording carefully from Nominets description here is what it says...

"If the result shows "Domain name: example.uk, Right of registration: example.co.uk", this means that the registrant of example.co.uk has rights to the domain example.uk, subject to Terms & Conditions."

Eh?

Because the rights come with the .co.uk. If you haven't registered it when the domain sells then it gets sold with it.

If you have registered it then the look up will say so, and the buyer will KNOW it's the .co.uk only or can stipulate that they will only take both.

Seems fairly reasonable.

I own Monkey.co.uk. I list it for sale, but I want to retain monkey.uk. I can't do this on Sedo, without registering monkey.uk first. But I don't want to register monkey.uk right now and start paying domain renewals yet, when I don't have to.

If you study the wording carefully from Nominets description here is what it says...

"If the result shows "Domain name: example.uk, Right of registration: example.co.uk", this means that the registrant of example.co.uk has rights to the domain example.uk, subject to Terms & Conditions."

Agreed, I understand that, and what sedo need to do is stipulate the point at which they 'infer' that the rights should be fixed. For a BIN that should be at the point of purchase.

It's not a clean process I know, there always a gap between purchase & transfer that could lead to confusion, however nice you're being!

At least sedo have realised that there is a .uk! They still have a way to go on this one...

I own Monkey.co.uk. I list it for sale, but I want to retain monkey.uk. I can't do this on Sedo, without registering monkey.uk first. But I don't want to register monkey.uk right now and start paying domain renewals yet, when I don't have to.

Remind me not to make you an offer for it then! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom