Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sedo "Update your DNS to park with Sedo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Chaps

Looks like Mr G. is telling all parking companies that URL forwarding will not be allowed, large portfolio owners who use their own hosting/nameservers etc. will have a real headache to manage the changes as well as loosing stats etc from that source.

Wonder what the issue is?

email received today.

Cheers

JohnP

As a valued SedoPRO client, we would like to give you advance notice of a possible change to the way our primary advertising provider helps us monetize your Sedo parking pages. Based on current discussions it is possible that our ad provider will cease its provision of advertising to URL-parked pages and in consequence only support DNS parked domains.

This step is considered by the online advertising provider in response to advertiser feedback and would affect all URL-parking customers at all parking companies worldwide that share this advertising provider. This change could happen in the near future (potentially as early as the fourth quarter of 2010) and we wanted you to have this information in advance to take into account for your internal planning.

A URL-parked page at Sedo is one where the domain name is "parked" using a forwarding URL, rather than having its DNS point to our servers. There are several advantages to switching to DNS parking at Sedo:

- DNS parked domains are more secure and less vulnerable to downtime

- DNS parked domains load faster for visitors

- DNS parked domains often have a higher CTR, due to the better load time, which results in more parking revenue for you!

We recommend you to switch to DNS parking at your earliest convenience as it may take several days for a change of DNS to fully resolve. To do so, please log-in to your registrar control panel and update your domain name servers (DNS) to:

Primary Name Server: NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM

Secondary Name Server: NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM

If you experience any difficulty with switching the DNS, please contact your Registrar.

You will also need to ensure that all your domains are listed in your Sedo account - your SedoPRO account manager would be happy to assist you in this. We will of course work with you to ensure a full continuation of service and are on hand to make sure that a possible switch to DNS parking at Sedo is as seamless as possible!

Please see our FAQ (http://support.sedo.com) for more details or contact your SedoPRO account manager to review your account in relation to this change.

Best wishes,

Your SedoPRO team

I suspect its a move to have more control and insight to blocking unwanted domains and traffic.

It's also designed to block framing, pop-up spawning and other similar things i.e. if the domain owner has no control of the domain's traffic at all, and Google trusts the parking company, then they can be more confident of the validity and quality of the traffic being generated.

No problem for me I always had my server on Sedo, sorry for the rest of you, it's going to be a loooooooooooooong process, and a really pointless problem.

anything google does is thought through .....

i would say ....

what does google want ? make money

how does it do that ? by providing most relevant search organic and paid

have u heard of google parking ?

well if u have to go to the trouble of changing all ur domiains might u move them to google ?

google will have far more analytic information then and control and it would not surprise me if over time other domains parking becomes less relevant

not that i'm saying that is what google is doing !!!!

just a thought !!!! :eek:

On second thoughts there is a bright side.

What better time to move away from parking and to build a mini site or holding/for sale page on each domain .... something i've been meaning to do for the last two years.

Is there a template & script to pull up your domains from a db?

Yet another reason not to pollute your top URL's by allowing Google to be able to put them in the shitpot when it see's SEDOPARKING in the DNS...

This is going to be a very time consuming exercise to complete. Over half of our domains are on the Sedo server but I think we've still got a thousand or two on url forwarding but I don't know which ones they are. In addition fasthosts still don't do bulk server changes. I can't see any other way than manually looking up the whois on every domain and changing those that show fasthosts servers :(

Nigel, the other alternative would be to do a bulk IP address lookup on all your domains using Watch My Domains Pro. As far as I know, IP lookups are not subject to the same 1,000 lookups/day limit that Nominet places on the Whois. The domains parked at Sedo should all have the same IP address (or one of a small range of IP addresses)

The above is theoretical, but I don't see why it shouldn't work...

Hi Edwin

Many thanks for your suggestion and also many thanks to Jason (Jasman) who was also very helpful.

Kind regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I can tell you what nameservers your names are on if you send me a list - let me know if i can help.

Johnny

Nigel,

I can tell you what nameservers your names are on if you send me a list - let me know if i can help.

Johnny

Hi Johnny

That's very kind of you to offer your help. I think I've got a way of dealing with the problem but may take up your offer if it doesn't work. So many helpful people on here :)

Many thanks.

Nigel

Re to original post – it could be Google’s idea but, this is also very convenient for Sedo. Sedo could have lobbied for this, as it would increase its revenue trough increased sales commissions.

We should not forget that Sedo it’s not the company from 10 years ago, Sedo using its power (our combined power) as it likes. Do we really need a company such Sedo to take large share of our revenue and tell us what to do? It so large its almost a monopoly. We need more services like domainlore.

Last edited:
Chaps

Been advised that currently at least one other major parking company that use Google have no knowledge of this restriction being imposed by the big G. on them - according to James at ND.

So not quite sure what is going on.

Best Regards

JohnP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom