Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

SEO - 301 Redirect Question (High Ranking Domains)

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been looking to get up to date with SEO etc... I've looked at a few posts on this sub-forum already, but have a question regarding high DA and SEO domains. The couple on DomainLore at the moment which are relatively high priced and competitive, what do people do with these?

Based on my research, I can only assume 301'ing to their website, and benefiting from the link power and any residual traffic?

I guess my question is, does it benefit a site in a random niche to have a 301 from a different niche (e.g. a high ranking SEO domain previously in the healthcare niche, 301'ing to a tech or gambling website). Would that ever make sense? I would assume in an ideal world it would be in the same niche, especially as you might get relevant residual traffic to your 301'd destination, but could someone rank a domain up well by just buying a tonnes of random SEO domains and 301'ing them to one of their websites?

Appreciate this is a very newbie question - it's not something I would be looking to do, but would help me to understand 301'ing / the value in SEO domains better!

Thanks in advance!

William

From my experience getting a dropped domain to regain its back link juice is very hard now with google, it seems to have changed for the worse in the last 12 months. If a domain has dropped and is then on auction site the chances are almost zero it seems. I suppose its not hard for google to work out the domain has dropped and is now up for auction.

The best method is to try and reinstate the original content from wayback for a while and see if the domain starts to get traffic.

There is an article here which was back in 2009 so I would think there system is more advanced now :)

https://searchengineland.com/do-links-from-expired-domains-count-with-google-17811

Bear in mind a recently dropped domain may have links that still bring in real traffic. The length of time a domain has been inactive will obviously have a bearing.

As a rule of thumb though, (A) exact same content on the same domain is lot more likely to rank than if it's (B) redirected to another domain with unrelated content.

In the real world you'll be somewhere in between A and B but be nearer to A than to B as far as possible.

Another way to see if google has "accepted" the old backlinks is if the site shows the google sitelinks when searching for the domain name.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom