Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Server SEO issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it possible to see or find out if bad incoming or spam type posts to other peoples sites on a shared hosting service is affecting your ranking?

I used to always rank quite well for most sites I ran, but as of late I'm definitely struggling.

I know the goal posts have changed and things are becoming a lot tougher but I'm noticing:

- Not always top position for my URL (the exact URL not just the EMK)

- Too low positions for sites with good unique content and a lot lower to poorly constructed sites with low quality content, no links and no PR

- Selling sites where quite quickly the purchaser takes better positions (different purchasers - so although some may add in to a network of sites, I'm sure they all don't)

I know I can just move one site away and do a test, but wanted to see if there was another way of checking or testing this?

Would hate to be shelling out time and money only to find out I can't make any difference!

Kind of - although what I'm concerned about is other peoples sites who are on the same shared server as I am on.

This tool let's me see bad incoming links to my site - but I don't know who may be on the same server as me.

Is there a tool anyone is aware of that gives an indication of bad links or bad activity pointing towards a server rather than individual website?

Is there a tool anyone is aware of that gives an indication of bad links or bad activity pointing towards a server rather than individual website?

Do you mean seeing what other sites are hosted on the same server as your site?

You need to search for "Reverse IP Lookup"
There are various sites that will list all sites on the same IP.

I did once use one of those tools and it also identified potential "bad neighbours", but I can't remember the address ... I'll have a search,

Is it possible to see or find out if bad incoming or spam type posts to other peoples sites on a shared hosting service is affecting your ranking?

I used to always rank quite well for most sites I ran, but as of late I'm definitely struggling.

I know the goal posts have changed and things are becoming a lot tougher but I'm noticing:

- Not always top position for my URL (the exact URL not just the EMK)

- Too low positions for sites with good unique content and a lot lower to poorly constructed sites with low quality content, no links and no PR

- Selling sites where quite quickly the purchaser takes better positions (different purchasers - so although some may add in to a network of sites, I'm sure they all don't)

I know I can just move one site away and do a test, but wanted to see if there was another way of checking or testing this?

Would hate to be shelling out time and money only to find out I can't make any difference!

That can hardly play a role for your bad ranks. There could be other host issues, such as slow server response, location of your server etc. There are hundreds of algorithms, which combined decide placement of search results. To rule out your concern, move out to a hosting, where they provide dedicated c class ip, you will have a unique ip and its cheap to host there as well.

That can hardly play a role for your bad ranks. There could be other host issues, such as slow server response, location of your server etc. There are hundreds of algorithms, which combined decide placement of search results. To rule out your concern, move out to a hosting, where they provide dedicated c class ip, you will have a unique ip and its cheap to host there as well.

It can - and has proven to do so. If there is a site with spammy black hat links sitting on the same shared server with the same IP address as you, and you too can suffer the knock on effects

I did want to try and find out without need to make any changes to the host.

Last edited:
There's over 320 sites on the same shared server as mine - can't think that's good (?)

That's actually very good - it's not uncommon to see a few thousand per server. Then again, I guess it depends on the spec.

If you have a nice host and ask politely they might move your site to another server for you, which seems like the easiest option at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom